The 2014 Corvette Stingray Forum
News / Blog Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Chevrolet Corvette Stingray C7 Forum > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-30-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Solar car charger

Does anyone run one of these? Since my car gets started less than once every two weeks now i thought it would be a good idea. If so, which ones do you guys use.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Blk-Ice
750HP of Twisted Reaper!

Drives: Blk 2SS/Blk Carb Fibr NS-1 stripes
Do you have a picture of that? Just curious since i didnt even know they had those. As for me it wouldnt work because my car stays inside under a cover most of the time....however i do feel its a great idea for those that leave their ride outside in the elements...especially during the winter months.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Nessal

I dont have a picture but if you search on amazon there a bunch. Just not sure which one to get. Actually dealerships have been using these since 2001 to keep the batteries on their cars topped off.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Jessika
Account Suspended

Drives: Anything Blown
I saw one of those at Frys yesterday. Awesome idea

Sent from my insanely great iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Jessika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
completely worthless.

to the point that they can actually drain your car battery.. In order for it to be effective it needs to be the size of the roof of the vehicle, a 12" x 6" panel on the dash is worthless for anything except maybe charging a cell phone.

yes I have tried them, IMO it is just another of those wonderful snake oil products.

also keep in mind these run thru the cig lighter, and since ours are not active when the car is not running, (they are switched off) they will do nothing for you unless you rewire that connection to be always hot.
Mr. iNCREDIBLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:41 PM   #6
Nessal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
completely worthless.

to the point that they can actually drain your car battery.. In order for it to be effective it needs to be the size of the roof of the vehicle, a 12" x 6" panel on the dash is worthless for anything except maybe charging a cell phone.

yes I have tried them, IMO it is just another of those wonderful snake oil products.

also keep in mind these run thru the cig lighter, and since ours are not active when the car is not running, (they are switched off) they will do nothing for you unless you rewire that connection to be always hot.

There are many car dealerships that use them. They don't use them to charge the battery, just to keep it topped off. I believe most plug in trickle chargers are only 1.5A so a solar panel should be able to supply that. I don't see how it can drain your battery as it doesn't draw power, only supply it.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:00 PM   #7
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
There are many car dealerships that use them. They don't use them to charge the battery, just to keep it topped off. I believe most plug in trickle chargers are only 1.5A so a solar panel should be able to supply that. I don't see how it can drain your battery as it doesn't draw power, only supply it.
because if you "top" the battery off too much you actually kill the cells by drying up the electrolyte, trickle chargers for motorcycles are great for this..

if you are storing the car the best bet is to unplug the battery, not try to keep it "topped" up..

and no offense but I don't have a whole lot of faith in anything "dealerships" do. I mean these are the same idiots that scratch cars when washing them, put wheel cleaner on that discolors and damages the Brembo brake calipers, and try and sell you "dealer" services that are not needed and outside the spectrum of the manufacturers recommendations.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:20 PM   #8
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
because if you "top" the battery off too much you actually kill the cells by drying up the electrolyte, trickle chargers for motorcycles are great for this..
Good thing you can add water!
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #9
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWarz View Post
Good thing you can add water!

not to a sealed battery...