Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #1
Hardymon

Drives: 2010 2SS LS3 Yellow
determineing the right turbo size

Hi all, I'm new to the FI world, but I'm looking into a single turbo setup. I'm still in the research and shopping phase and was hoping to tap into the knowledge base here.

I'm leaning towards the Huron T4 turbo kit, and now I'm trying to determine what turbo to run with it. I'm leaning towards the Borg Warner S300 series of turbos because I understand that to be a solid brand at a reasonable price with the ability to upgrade in the future as needs change. I am open to other brands if people know of anything that is less expensive, but still better quality than ebay brand. (I'd like to keep the unit under $700 for the time being).

Currently I'm only running some bolt-ons, CAI, ported TB, headers, High flow cats and solo exhaust . My plan is to run on the stock internals for now and run in the neighborhood of 7PSI boost with a goal of 550+ hp at the tires. I'm also planning to add injectors and probably a BAP.

The car is a daily driver and sees a few passes at the local strip once a month or so. What I'm hoping to learn here is what size turbo I should be looking at, specifically with regard to A/R and turbine/compressor wheel sizes. I would like to be at or near full boost by around 3500-4000 rpm with little to no restriction at my current redline of 6500 rpm. I would probably be willing to sacrifice some spooling rate for top numbers so that I can have the power up top without being too much in the boost in the day to day, (assuming that's even a trade I would need to make at this level).

My understanding is that a higher A/R will yield greater peak numbers but slower spooling while lower AR provides faster spooling but can cause restriction at high rpms.

I've tried to google this info, but a lot of what comes up seems to be for rice cars or race cars, and when someone says daily driver things are all over the map. I'd like to see what your personal experiences are with the various sized turbos, what power they make, when the power comes on etc... Also, if anyone has a formula or guideline to follow to determine what these values are, I'd like to see that too. I tried the garret turbo selector app, but it popped up 10 or twelve different turbos that were all slightly different and I'm not at a point where I could "know" what they would do for the car.

As a final note, since "that guy" will inevitably show up, no, I don't want to use a supercharger at this point, and no, I don't want to use twins.

Thanks in advance

Mods to date: Volant cai, New Era Ported TB, Torque Solutions short shifter, FE4 suspension with BMR Sway bars, SP 17/8" headers with hi-flo cats, Solo Performance cat back.
Hardymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:26 PM   #2
sprayedv

Drives: 2012 CTS-V, 2010 Camaro SS
Twins over single all day everyday.

6266s

2012 CTS-V: Cosmetic Chute.
sprayedv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:37 PM   #3
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 1LE A10 (stock)
I can't speak to the sizes, but I can speak to the Borgs. I've been running S200's for over 16,000 miles of 'everything driving' (strip, course, daily) and have had ZERO issues with them.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:39 AM   #4
AGP Turbo

Drives: All things Turbocharged
S369 SX-E is the best of them.
I don't recommend it but you don't seem interested in explanations outside of what you've decided.
AGP Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:48 PM   #5
Hardymon

I haven't actually decided anything yet beyond using a single turbo setup. I just want something that will fulfill the criteria I've outlined.

I'd be interested to hear if you're aware of something else that you think would fill the needs better than the BW while still maintaining the $5-700 price tag. Do you know what A/R would be best for that turbo? I've seen a number of them in the .88 and .91, but I've not seen as many in the 1.0 housing in the price range I'm looking for.

A friend had a T76 with a .96 and he was full boost by the mid 3s and his wasn't choking at the top, so he suggested that it might be possible to go smaller but to try an see what other people are doing.

Is there any logic to going with a smaller turbine with a larger A/R or maybe a larger turbine with a smaller A/R? How does this tend to affect things? I'm thinking of what will get me into boost on the sooner side without choking at the top.

Mods to date: Volant cai, New Era Ported TB, Torque Solutions short shifter, FE4 suspension with BMR Sway bars, SP 17/8" headers with hi-flo cats, Solo Performance cat back.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
kevin87turbot

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS with Turbonetics
Given your criteria, the BW 369 SX-E is a good choice. If you're only looking for 550whp, it will do that with ease. If you're thinking about upgrading from there, both Precision and Turbonetics have some options. What are your long term goals?
Old 02-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
Hardymon

I think for now I'm looking for 550-600 rwhp. Ultimately just a more fun street car that will be fun for test and tune night at the local track. I've purchased the Huron kit, now I just need to nail down a turbo. Since I'm planning to run less than 10# of boost and want quick spooling for the street over max power for the track, would I benefit from a smaller turbo like the bw 369,or would it be better to go with a larger 76mm style? Also, what AR would be good to run with the different sizes given my goals?

Last edited by Hardymon; 02-27-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:21 PM   #8
Hardymon

I've been looking at the 369sxe units and I can't find any complete units for less than than a grand, which falls outside of what I'd really like to pay. I'm more interested in a "my first turbo" that will be upgraded in the future. Ultimately I want a turbo that will get me into the mid to high 500s rwhp on mostly stock parts and will spool quick for street use. I'd like to avoid the "cheap" turbos, but I'm kind of looking to get the minimum that will accomplish what I want.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:36 PM   #9
Olddudesrule
Resident nomad

Drives: 2014 Summit White 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGP Turbo View Post
S369 SX-E is the best of them.
I don't recommend it but you don't seem interested in explanations outside of what you've decided.
Anyone else take the last part of that answer as bitchy? I thought the OP's original question was fairly clear and fairly open-ended. I didn't think he was close minded about much, except for the face that he didn't want supercharger or twin turbo info.......Hey, maybe you didn't intend it that way...
2003 Z06
1965 FFR Cobra
2012 Nissan 370Z

ADM LSA Stage II, Roto-Fab CAI, Kooks LTH/HFC's, Phastek CC, ported TB, Mishimoto radiator and oil cooler, BC Racing ER Series CO's, JPSS 32mm Black Magic rear bar, JPSS front inserts, R1 Concepts Premier slotted rotors/Goodrich SS lines, Schroth ASM harness, MGW flatstick, Brey-Krause HB, Tuned by NicD, at Cordes Performance Racing.
Olddudesrule is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help me i'm a noob, selecting, selection, turbo