Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 01-05-2017, 12:09 PM   #1
MonroeZ28

Drives: 15 z28 white
data aquisition setup

I ran a gopro this year for 3 track days and hope to do about 6 or more this coming year. I was real happy with the picture quality and how stabile the video was with the Gopro. I keep watching videos that guys ares posting and I love the data acquisition overlay that guys are running and want to get one of those set ups. First question I have is do they make something that integrates with the Gopro because I like the picture quality of my Gopro? If not, what setup do people recommend as far as the best bang for the buck?
MonroeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
pat_t

Drives: .
Harrys lap timer (iOs and Andoid) is one of the best smartphone-based apps. I've used that and RaceChrono and Trackmaster on Android. They all allow sync of external videos (from your Go-Pro) as well as a less-hassle version using your phone camera.

A bluetooth GPS receiver is a requirement as smartphones only log at 1Hz, not enough for decent analysis or cornering lines and braking G etc. Garmin and QStarz are good, both 5-10Hz.
http://racetrackrefugee.com/2014/04/...-818xt-part-1/

Money no object? VBOX or professional motorsport software/hardware from Motec, Pi/Pectel/Cosworth, Bosch Motorsport etc
http://www.racedatasystems.com/
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
D2M

Drives: Z/28
I use Garmin VIRB with a cheap OBD Bluetooth transmitter for video. Super easy to use as the telemetry data is automatically recorded in the same device and all overlays ( hundreds of overlay combinations ) are in the editing software. It works pretty good, I noticed sometimes the OBD looses connection with the camera for a few seconds. This is not really an issue as it rarely happens.

For lap data AIM Solo..

Here is a sample video with the Garmin, This in on a 8" long suction mount so it does have some movement.

D2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
MonroeZ28

Drives: 15 z28 white
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
Harrys lap timer (iOs and Andoid) is one of the best smartphone-based apps. I've used that and RaceChrono and Trackmaster on Android. They all allow sync of external videos (from your Go-Pro) as well as a less-hassle version using your phone camera.

A bluetooth GPS receiver is a requirement as smartphones only log at 1Hz, not enough for decent analysis or cornering lines and braking G etc. Garmin and QStarz are good, both 5-10Hz.
http://racetrackrefugee.com/2014/04/...-818xt-part-1/

Money no object? VBOX or professional motorsport software/hardware from Motec, Pi/Pectel/Cosworth, Bosch Motorsport etc
http://www.racedatasystems.com/
Bluetooth GPS receiver? Can the cars Bluetooth system be used as the receiver with the app or do I need to use an external type one that you mention?
MonroeZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:40 AM   #5
pat_t

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonroeZ28 View Post
Bluetooth GPS receiver? Can the cars Bluetooth system be used as the receiver with the app or do I need to use an external type one that you mention?
Either will work. Not sure if both can be done simultaneously. It depends what you want out of it.

On Harry's LapTimer for example, the car OBD link will give you good data to put together a video like this:

However without the external GPS loggers you won't be able to review your lines to this level of detail:

as the phone is not picking up the data points at a high enough frequency through the corner to do it.

Of course you can always review your lines afterwards just by replaying the videos.

Hope this is of help
Patrick
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 08:31 PM   #6
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
I'm very happy with Harry's LapTimer - Grand Prix Edition. I used it for the first time today with a Garmin GLO and iPhone 7s plus to capture the below - great results and really helped me push harder then my previous sessions without Harry's LapTimer. Especially since it was 9 and 16 degrees (f) at the track today leading me to be extra careful when in PTM 5 or everything off. I was checking the data over a series of laps to determine where I could push harder and gain time - I dropped 4.7 seconds over 4 runs and gain 10MPH on the "main" straight.

Definitely leaned on PTM 5 - it cut a lot of throttle on the final turn (you can hear the intervention) - I would have never been that deep in the throttle if I had it off but I think (?) I might have been able to put more power down then what the computer was giving (but I very well could be wrong) - didn't want to introduce myself to the wall!!

Hope this helps. For 130 bucks (100 for GPS, 30 for the app IIRC) cannot beat the quality of the data and the ability to instantly analyze post session without the need of a PC.

https://youtu.be/aaXv874fAo0
Attached Images

kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:57 AM   #7
Z/28Dan

Drives: 2013 HWSE Indy Festial #26
You ran Summit Point in January with snow on the ground?!?!?!

Dan
Z/28Dan is offline   Reply With Quote