Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-30-2023, 10:22 PM   #1
jimbo11

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 - SharkSkin
SharkSkin drop top m6. PPF???

After several failed attempts to work a deal on ZL1 convertible with M6 and lots of uncertainty in ordering/allocation timelines. Completely out of left field I got a call from dealer about 3 hours away that just got in the exact car I was looking for. Drove her home on Saturday and great dealer to work with. Honored my Gm supplier and at their request we reviewed all possible rebates I qualified for ($1250). Forum thoughts on PPF?

Yeah I know there is still factory foam on driver side
Door. Left it there as dent protection when my wife realizes what I spent and opens the door in a fit of rage demanding to drive it!
Attached Images

jimbo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:02 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Congrats on the new ride! Yes definitely get PPF. Lots of PPF. It's a Chevy, and GMs accountants all live in the paint booth, so the paint is very thin.

Installer matters more than the product, so find the best installer in your area and pay them well. Ask if they have experience with the front end of the ZL1, it's a PITA and you'll know by their answer. Pick whichever top-shelf self-healing PPF they want to install (Suntek, 3M, Xpel are all pretty much the same at the very top of the range). Have them oversize the patterns and wrap/tuck edges. Remove emblems and heat extractor and reinstall after applying film so there are no visible seams. 5-1/2 years ago I installed Suntek Ultra self-healing PPF on my car and it still looks showroom new. I did Full front, rockers to the door body line, mirrors, windshield frame, and in front of and behind the rear wheels. I did not do the back end of the car, but wish I did because the square rump catches a lot of grit.

As to coatings, don't bother with ceramic on top of PPF, but do put on a durable hydrophobic like Gtechniq EXO. Do put ceramic and hydrophobic on the wheels and grillework and anywhere else where PPF is not installed. Some of the newer PPFs are a little more hydrophobic and less "polyurethane-sticky" than they used to be, but the hydrophobic REALLY helps keep dust off the car and makes it very easy to clean.

When the time comes, get some Sonax alcantara cleaner for the wheel/stick and seats.

Lots of threads over in the detailing section with more ... erm ... detail: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=252 like this one: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609639
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 12:28 AM   #3
Tay

Drives: 1985 Oldsmobuick
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo11 View Post
After several failed attempts to work a deal on ZL1 convertible with M6 and lots of uncertainty in ordering/allocation timelines. Completely out of left field I got a call from dealer about 3 hours away that just got in the exact car I was looking for. Drove her home on Saturday and great dealer to work with. Honored my Gm supplier and at their request we reviewed all possible rebates I qualified for ($1250). Forum thoughts on PPF?

Door. Left it there as dent protection when my wife realizes what I spent and opens the door in a fit of rage demanding to drive it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Congrats on the new ride! Yes definitely get PPF. Lots of PPF. It's a Chevy, and GMs accountants all live in the paint booth, so the paint is very thin.

Installer matters more than the product, so find the best installer in your area and pay them well. Ask if they have experience with the front end of the ZL1, it's a PITA and you'll know by their answer. Pick whichever top-shelf self-healing PPF they want to install (Suntek, 3M, Xpel are all pretty much the same at the very top of the range). Have them oversize the patterns and wrap/tuck edges. Remove emblems and heat extractor and reinstall after applying film so there are no visible seams. 5-1/2 years ago I installed Suntek Ultra self-healing PPF on my car and it still looks showroom new. I did Full front, rockers to the door body line, mirrors, windshield frame, and in front of and behind the rear wheels. I did not do the back end of the car, but wish I did because the square rump catches a lot of grit.

As to coatings, don't bother with ceramic on top of PPF, but do put on a durable hydrophobic like Gtechniq EXO. Do put ceramic and hydrophobic on the wheels and grillework and anywhere else where PPF is not installed. Some of the newer PPFs are a little more hydrophobic and less "polyurethane-sticky" than they used to be, but the hydrophobic REALLY helps keep dust off the car and makes it very easy to clean.

When the time comes, get some Sonax alcantara cleaner for the wheel/stick and seats.

Lots of threads over in the detailing section with more ... erm ... detail: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=252 like this one: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609639
Congratulations!

I agree with everything that Gunkk has to say.
Tay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:37 AM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
I would at least do PPF in these areas, I spent about $1,500 or so and at 7,700 miles, not a single rock chip... CONGRATS on the new ride!!!

After delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph... BOTH are a lot of fun to operate...
2SS Capt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:05 AM   #5
Kevin0311

Drives: Chevy ss sedan, 22 ZL1 vert
Wow supplier pricing accepted on a camaro is very rare over the last few years, glad that dealer took it!
Kevin0311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:33 AM   #6
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: '23 CT5-V BW, '21 Corvette HTC
Congrats on the ZL1. Love the color.

I have PPF on two of my cars. On my ZL1 it covers the entire front end including the CF hood insert, the side skirts, the panel behind the door, the side mirrors, and the rear bumper.

Originally had Suntek on the front but after a year it developed swirls in the film that would not self-heal. Installer replaced it with Xpel Ultra under warranty. The Xpel is starting to show swirls which I now think may be related to the ceramic coating on top of the film and not the film itself.

I did not put ppf on my Corvette. And the main reason for this besides the swirls in the film or ceramic coating is when the film is hit by a big enough object it will leave a mark that will not self-heal. And that mark will stick out like a sore thumb. Yes, 95% of the time the paint underneath the film is not damaged but until you have enough marks to make it cost-effective to replace the film, it will be very noticeable.

Now I say all this in reference to black paint underneath the film. Marks in the film on the OP's car may not be as noticeable because of the shark skin color.

When I drive my Corvette in situations where I know there's a high potential for rock chips like on the freeway, I'll put a Novistretch bra over the front nose. So far this has kept the front end relatively free of chips.
Old 01-31-2023, 07:37 AM   #7
jimbo11

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 - SharkSkin
Thank you all for the great advice!
jimbo11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:24 AM   #8
JTS

Drives: 2023 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Thank you all for the great advice!
Jimbo Congratulations on finding your car. Advice previous posts have plenty , I had my Xpel installed by Magic Bus King of Bras they work out of Scottsdale and service the Phoenix area , they come to you if you have a garage. If you decide ask for Chris H. he did mine and 2 of my neighbors. Looks excellent. Family owned for 25 years. Again Congratulations great looking Car. Happy Motoring
Attached Images

Old 01-31-2023, 11:25 AM   #9
Carzzy

Drives: '24 Camaro 2SS Conv. & '21Blazer
Quote:

Congrats! I too just bought a new '23 ZL1 M6 Convertible on January 6th. I also received the supplier discount and the loyalty $750 rebate
Old 01-31-2023, 12:03 PM   #10
PowerDemon

Drives: Camaro ZL1, Golf GTI
I would definitely recommend PPF. At least on the front bumper and rear fenders. Also do it ASAP because every rock chip under the film stands out! Ask me how I know...