Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #1
cann1x

Drives: 17 black 6m < 18 garnett a10
6mt reverse grind/lock-out issue

Has anyone experienced the car shifting into reverse at a high rate of speed? I went to a half mile event and my car shifted in reverse attempting to hit 5th; I was conscious of miss shift via heads up display and re-selected 5th on my run. I called my dealer and the foreman said I was shifting too aggressively and bypassed the lockout. I can see why he would say that hence the environment but I've been driving stick my entire life. My shifts are not sloppy and honestly the transmission should not be doing this regardless. I've tried to replicate this issue at low cruising speeds and it won't do it, even trying to "force" it further than 5th into reverse.

In addition, when the car is cold, occationally it will not click in reverse all the way and will grind and pop out unless I clutch it out a bit (like an old dirt bike) and it will click in.

I'm hesitant to leave it at the dealer for diagnosis. Dealer told me they would have the replicate the issue to address it... I don't want foreign hands beating on my car. Also, I never had this issue until I left my car at the dealer for a TSB for the sway bar linkage which leads me to believe the car was joyridden on the test drive, but I don't have proof.

Ideas?

Last edited by cann1x; 01-23-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: misspelling
cann1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:27 AM   #2
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cann1x View Post
Has anyone experienced the car shifting into reverse at a high rate of speed? I went to a half mile event and my car shifted in reverse attempting to hit 5th; I was conscious of miss shift via heads up display and re-selected 5th on my run. I called my dealer and the foreman said I was shifting too aggressively and bypassed the lockout. I can see why he would say that hence the environment but I've been driving stick my entire life. My shifts are not sloppy and honestly the transmission should not be doing this regardless. I've tried to replicate this issue at low cruising speeds and it won't do it, even trying to "force" it further than 5th into reverse.

In addition, when the car is cold, occationally it will not click in reverse all the way and will grind and pop out unless I clutch it out a bit (like an old dirt bike) and it will click in.

I'm hesitant to leave it at the dealer for diagnosis. Dealer told me they would have the replicate the issue to address it... I don't want foreign hands beating on my car. Also, I never had this issue until I left my car at the dealer for a TSB for the sway bar linkage which leads me to believe the car was joyridden on the test drive, but I don't have proof.

Ideas?
Before I switched to Royal Purple Sychromax transmission fluid all gears felt "clunky" and I did have 2nd gear pop out a couple of times. I had to put extra force to place it in gear and missed 2nd and 3rd at the drag strip a few times. Reverse never popped out though it was hard to engage. After the switch it's much smoother. Everyone I've talked to who has switch to Synchromax has gotten good results.

If you're having that much trouble with it and you don't feel like they're addressing your issues, I'd recommend you bring it to another dealer.
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
7stringtheory

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:

Ideas?
Do you have a skip shoft elimanator installed?
7stringtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:54 PM   #4
Boost or bust

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:

Ideas?
When cold it is sometimes more difficult to shift into second gear for me, but gets easier very quickly. I noticed I can’t shift into reverse until I am fully stopped, so surprised you can shift into R while moving. At least contact a dealer and have them check service bulletins to see if a known issue.
Boost or bust is offline   Reply With Quote