Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-14-2020, 09:31 PM   #1
sickspeedSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS M6
10’ stock fuel injection question

Can I pick someone’s brain that is familiar with the stock fuel system on a 10’ SS Ls3 car? I changed my oil the other day. It had a slight fuel odor in the oil not sure if it’s common??.... no performance issues at all. Car doesn’t get abused but gets driven accordingly for what it is. H/C/I car. MM catch can. Stock fuel system. I just have a few questions about leak down when I put the gauge on the rail. How much leak down would be to much?? What’s the threshold? Fuel pressure regulation? What controls it and where is it at and could it be a an issue? Provided it leaks down can I or should I pull the rails with the injectors to see if any leak with the key on? Just trying to come up with some idea on what to do. The odor wasn’t extreme but noticeable none the less. Any input will be appreciated.
sickspeedSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:16 AM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
The first thing that comes to mind is a stuck fuel injector, but I would think it would cause a miss.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:32 AM   #3
sickspeedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
The first thing that comes to mind is a stuck fuel injector, but I would think it would cause a miss.
That's exactly what i thought. It isn't showing any signs of misfire in the data logs. I just know the fuel smell in the oil could translate in to some other issues. The engine only has about 3k miles after rebuild. I put a gauge on the rail last night, turned the key on and back off (never cranked the car) it went to 59 or so and fell to about 53 when i turned the key off. After 3 or 4 minutes it was still holding over 50. Cold start up MAP kpa is around 49/50 so maybe its not a vacuum leak....
Old 07-15-2020, 09:35 PM   #4
sickspeedSS

Bump for help.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:50 PM   #5
Sparko

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Have you done a compression test? Not many places for gas/oil to cross paths. If I were working on this I would start with a couple things to get some hard info rather than speculate. I would start with a compression test and make sure I'm not leaking past my rings. I would then pull my injectors and put them into some paper cups and key on to see if one was drizzling by.

I have not checked the leak down on this car, and my fuel tools are not in my possession currently, so I can not provide you with a baseline on that.
'87 HD FXRT - Wrecked pending repair
Sparko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:15 AM   #6
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
What’s the dipstick telling you?
Old 07-16-2020, 06:33 AM   #7
sickspeedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
Have you done a compression test? Not many places for gas/oil to cross paths. If I were working on this I would start with a couple things to get some hard info rather than speculate. I would start with a compression test and make sure I'm not leaking past my rings. I would then pull my injectors and put them into some paper cups and key on to see if one was drizzling by.

I have not checked the leak down on this car, and my fuel tools are not in my possession currently, so I can not provide you with a baseline on that.

Good advice, thank you!
Old 07-16-2020, 06:38 AM   #8
sickspeedSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter1660 View Post
What’s the dipstick telling you?
By that I assume you mean is the oil level rising? No it hasn’t shown any sign of gaining on the dipstick. It’s not a daily driver and sits for days at a time without firing.