Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

Phastek Performance

Old 04-05-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
slick3

Drives: Garnet Red - 20 ZLE
Anyone switch Trans Fluid yet on the 1LE

With the question posted, I have already switched... I want to see how much fluid you guys ended up getting back into the thing. I filled once and couldnt quite hit 4 quarts, took it for a 10 minute drive, brought it back let it cool down, filled it up again and got another 3/4 quart in it. I think im going to do this one more time just to verify its full.. When I pulled the fill plug the second time, I got a little air out of it which told me it definitely was not full.

So for you guys that have switched, how much fluid did you end up getting back into the gearbox?
slick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
How many miles you got? Curious why you swapped already.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
slick3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
How many miles you got? Curious why you swapped already.
3,900. Swapped because I get free Amsoil and it really helped the notchy feeling in my Mustang in the past so why not.

On that note, the notchyness on cold starts is completely gone. Car feels just as smoother at startup as it does 200 miles later. I will be sticking with GM fluid for the rear diff though.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:19 AM   #4
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
You didn't happen to take any pics of the fill/drain spots while you were under there?

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:27 AM   #5
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post
3,900. Swapped because I get free Amsoil and it really helped the notchy feeling in my Mustang in the past so why not.

On that note, the notchyness on cold starts is completely gone. Car feels just as smoother at startup as it does 200 miles later. I will be sticking with GM fluid for the rear diff though.

I would just be on the lookout to see if there is any difference in the trans fluid temps when doing hard driving. If there's no issue there then it sounds like this is a good swap to make!
Old 04-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #6
slick3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
You didn't happen to take any pics of the fill/drain spots while you were under there?
I didnt but the fill side is on the driver side, and the drain is literally on top of the black support brace on the passenger side. Its a PIA to get to.

3/8 ratchet + Smallest possible extension you can find, like a inch extension.. For drain side, same thing but a swivel might be helpful.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:39 PM   #7
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by slick3 View Post

On that note, the notchyness on cold starts is completely gone. Car feels just as smoother at startup as it does 200 miles later.
May be the warmer overall climate, but even on a cool morning (50's), I have never noticed my trans being any harder to shift...maybe I got lucky.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:49 PM   #8
devnull
Scientific negotiator

Drives: 2019 Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
May be the warmer overall climate, but even on a cool morning (50's), I have never noticed my trans being any harder to shift...maybe I got lucky.
Mine too... Very little difference cold to hot (was not the case on the C5 and C6 vettes, but was on the C7).

Matthew 25:40

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
devnull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
The stock fluid was never a problem for me on "warm 50°F mornings". The problem with it was when it was below 30°F. It sucked.

To quote myself from my build thread:

*2.7 quarts of AMSoil Manual Syncromesh transmission fluid. Incidentally about 2.5 quarts drained out via gravity, which was a bit below the bottom edge of the fill plug. Now the fluid is basically level with the fill plug.

The AMSoil Syncromesh is a trans fluid I've been using in my track cars for years, um, getting closer to decades. It handles heat very well and makes syncros work better than most other fluids, even the Motorcraft Unicorn Tears and the magic cocktail of Pennzoil and Redline. In any case the factory TR-6060 fluid refused to let me put the car in 2nd when it was stone cold with ambient's less than 30°F. Immediately after the fluid change, 2nd gear is no longer an issue. Perfect. As usual.
Old 04-05-2017, 02:20 PM   #10
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
My transmission and Diff fluid has been changed at 1800 miles but it was still clean unlike the diff fluid. I will replace the transmission every year and change the diff fluid before and after the track season as I did with previous cars.

It took little less than 4qt (about 3.6lt ) exactly as stated in Tremec's documents.
This is the one that I've replaced with:
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:24 PM   #11
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
The stock fluid was never a problem for me on "warm 50°F mornings". The problem with it was when it was below 30°F. It sucked.

To quote myself from my build thread:

*2.7 quarts of AMSoil Manual Syncromesh transmission fluid. Incidentally about 2.5 quarts drained out via gravity, which was a bit below the bottom edge of the fill plug. Now the fluid is basically level with the fill plug.

The AMSoil Syncromesh is a trans fluid I've been using in my track cars for years, um, getting closer to decades. It handles heat very well and makes syncros work better than most other fluids, even the Motorcraft Unicorn Tears and the magic cocktail of Pennzoil and Redline. In any case the factory TR-6060 fluid refused to let me put the car in 2nd when it was stone cold with ambient's less than 30°F. Immediately after the fluid change, 2nd gear is no longer an issue. Perfect. As usual.
Yeah, I figured my "cold" wasn't cold enough to effect the fluid in any way...
Old 04-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #12
slick3

5.4 quarts with the cooler it says... hence the start of this thread.

Old 04-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #13
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: '17 1SS 1LE
Seems like nobody else has commented about how much old fluid drained out. That's a fairly key point.
Old 04-05-2017, 04:09 PM   #14
slick3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
Seems like nobody else has commented about how much old fluid drained out. That's a fairly key point.
It is, and since mine went into a pretty bucket full of factory oil, I didnt get to measure it either. In hindsight, I wish I would have because then this thread wouldn't exist