Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-10-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
2LS14

Drives: 2014 2LS
HP tune help!!

Will installing a HP tune mean that I have to use premium gas? I mainly want the tune so I can raise the speed limiter. My cousin just bought a used 2013 LT and his car can go pass 118 mph
2LS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #2
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
You can determine which octane table you use when it's being tuned.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
garvyf22
Tonkaracing

Drives: 2013 2LS RED CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
You can determine which octane table you use when it's being tuned.
After re programming the car so it doesn't shut down at 118. What will it shut down at.
garvyf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #4
DSX_Camaro

You can probably set your own top speed, but I HIGHLY recommend you don't. That is for your own safety due to the top speed rating of the tires, and unless you've upgraded your tires to something better, don't touch it.

I doubt videos of tires exploding are necessary here. Lol.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 11-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #5
garvyf22
Tonkaracing

Drives: 2013 2LS RED CAMARO
Lmfao

Quote:
You can probably set your own top speed, but I HIGHLY recommend you don't. That is for your own safety due to the top speed rating of the tires, and unless you've upgraded your tires to something better, don't touch it.

I doubt videos of tires exploding are necessary here. Lol.
garvyf22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
2LS14

If I can tune my V6 without having to use premium all the time I will keep it. But if the tune requires that I use premium gas I will trade up to a V8 next year. I also have the RS rims on my car now.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:27 PM   #7
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
If you dont use premium fuel, youll be fighting knock all day while trying to tune
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
A few dollars a tank is the decision maker on trading up to an SS? I gladly pay for the premium just to get the most out of my car whether it really needs it or not, and I drive a v6 with no tune.
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Same here the v6 with premium fuel just feels like it's less hesitant. From my first full up I ran 93 octane and have ever since. I'm untuned have a rotofab cold air intake , and vitesse throttle controller. The extra money is worth it for the motor having less gunk and in my opinion performing better.
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LS14 View Post
If I can tune my V6 without having to use premium all the time I will keep it. But if the tune requires that I use premium gas I will trade up to a V8 next year. I also have the RS rims on my car now.
I don't understand when this happens. Why is everyone so scared of the V6? Yeah, it's not a V8, but it gets way better gas mileage and can still get awesome power with boost (which still costs less than an SS usually). And if you wanted a V8, why didn't you get one originally instead of getting your current car and then losing money when you trade it in? Not arguing or anything, I just don't understand it.

Realistically, if you trade to a V8, which would be more expensive option for option, and get about 20-30% less gas mileage (EPA #s are just lol), and REQUIRE premium fuel... what are you gaining, exactly? Mod for mod it will cost more than the V6. And even GretchenGotGrowl at 650whp still gets 28mpg on the highway.

650whp is a very fast car. Even 500whp is a very fast car.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #11
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JantzenOKC View Post
A few dollars a tank is the decision maker on trading up to an SS? I gladly pay for the premium just to get the most out of my car whether it really needs it or not, and I drive a v6 with no tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crc91 View Post
Same here the v6 with premium fuel just feels like it's less hesitant. From my first full up I ran 93 octane and have ever since. I'm untuned have a rotofab cold air intake , and vitesse throttle controller. The extra money is worth it for the motor having less gunk and in my opinion performing better.
Quote:
I don't understand when this happens. Why is everyone so scared of the V6? Yeah, it's not a V8, but it gets way better gas mileage and can still get awesome power with boost (which still costs less than an SS usually). And if you wanted a V8, why didn't you get one originally instead of getting your current car and then losing money when you trade it in? Not arguing or anything, I just don't understand it.

Realistically, if you trade to a V8, which would be more expensive option for option, and get about 20-30% less gas mileage (EPA #s are just lol), and REQUIRE premium fuel... what are you gaining, exactly? Mod for mod it will cost more than the V6. And even GretchenGotGrowl at 650whp still gets 28mpg on the highway.

I too run premium in my car, it makes a difference even without a tune.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 09:48 PM   #12
crc91

Drives: '14 1LS
Quote:

I agree with you man I bought my six on my own and saved up enough cash to make very easy and affordable payments on it. Could I have done that with a v8? Yeah but my payments would be doubled and it would take a long time to save up for mods. (I work part time and I'm in college). I think a lot of people that have v6 models start seeing the money they put into mods and they see a small difference but other people are just like so? It's still a v6. And that persuades them to trade up. Can't say that I blame them who doesn't love th roar and the beautiful torque of the v8? Myself just like others on these boards have a passion for modding, and want to complete our builds even if is "just" a v6. I'll have my top of the line camaro or corvette after I graduate college in a few years.

Then the fun can really begin! But until then my 14 LFX will keep me smiling and happy! I think some people especially non car people feel like having a base model is just settling. My camaro had everything I wanted when I was shopping for a new car; style, modability, over 300 hp, no extra weight gaining packages(sorry rs guys) and most importantly 3 pedals! Ugh now I gotta go for a drive! Keep calm and Mod on!
crc91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 05:59 AM   #13
etmx183

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2LT RS

No offense taking. My Two pedal RS V6 is a fun ride the whole 12 seconds it takes to beat an SS. :-)

And after a few more mods it is even more fun.

etmx183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2014, 07:24 AM   #14
2LS14

Logically if by tunning my car means that I will lose my warranty and use premium gas I rather just trade to a V8 and keep my warranty