Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #1
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Black Camaro, daily driver

I have a new black Camaro as a daily driver and I know I have a long road ahead defending the paint against swirls, chips, road rash...

Does anyone have any long term experience with a 3M spray on the front of their Camaro?

What about a bra or mask for the front end? I see lycra/spandex types on some people's cars. Do they work well? Do they rub the paint underneath just the same?

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Evergreen6; 05-01-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
Im getting a clear bra installed in a couple weeks. Its xpel which I believe is owned by 3M. It's self healing so when you get a stone hitting it just sit it in the sun or run some hot water over it.

My cars not a DD but I do want to autox and race so want some protection for behind my wheels.

Sent from somewhere on the road.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 AM   #3
Evergreen6

Bump. Anyone else?

Thinking about picking up a set of splash gaurds and a front-end mask. Usually I hate those. I'm curious if anyone has any issues with rubbing or rash on the paint from either a lycra type or vinyl type with soft backing.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:04 AM   #4
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Get Xpel, SunTech or similar... you won't know it's there for the most part. I've had it on two vehicles so far (not on the Camaro yet) and love it. Unless it's a big rock, it will just bounce off without leaving a mark.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
Evergreen6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesMyBoy View Post
Get Xpel, SunTech or similar... you won't know it's there for the most part. I've had it on two vehicles so far (not on the Camaro yet) and love it. Unless it's a big rock, it will just bounce off without leaving a mark.
I just looked at the Xpel stuff. I'm amazed what people think plastic film is worth. I'd be $600 into buying the piece for the front bumper cover and the separate piece for the header panel or "upper bumper" as they call it.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #6
2012 ZL1#1658

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1658
I have the 3M paint protection for my front end fascia of my black Camaro. Strongly recommend it.
3M Paint Protection

2011 1SS/RS (BLACK on BLACK) <SOLD>
2012 ZL1#1658 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
I just looked at the Xpel stuff. I'm amazed what people think plastic film is worth. I'd be $600 into buying the piece for the front bumper cover and the separate piece for the header panel or "upper bumper" as they call it.
As I recall my front clear bra package, which covered the entire front end, including about 1/4 way back on the hood, around the corners and onto the leading part of the front fenders, the side mirrors and the headlights and DRL's, was around $800. I've since had my carbon fiber side skirts and front splitter done, did the gills and the carbon fiber rear diffuser (the part behind the rear wheels only). I don't even remember what that cost me because I feel it's worth it. BTW, rocks bigger than pea gravel will mess up the bra pretty bad. The clear resin finish on my front splitter has cracked from larger rock impacts and the only way I can see to stop or cover that is to put a black vinyl or plastic strip over it. Seibon's resin on their carbon fiber is too hard and brittle for a daily driver.