View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 04:36 PM   #248
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
I always have wondered how you determine which gauge is correct. They basically mirror similar increases and decreases in PSI between each ball. You can look at the graph of the two gauges, and see this.

One gauge shows that it is unlikely balls were deflated. The other clearly shows 8 of 11 of the balls having been deflated though. No control tests were done on the gauges, so the NFL (and we) have no idea which gauge for the range of 10-11 was more accurate. Because of that lack of knowledge, it's pretty much a 50/50 call as to one or the other being correct though. Or, it's quite possible neither one is close to the correct readings should have been. We will never know.

I've always said the PSI stuff doesn't matter...since it doesn't prove anything one way or the other. I've always looked at other factors in this...and have stated many times why I believe what I do.
Since I doubt the gauges are precision instruments, whichever gauge was used for the initial measurements would be the one to look at for the halftime measurements.
Iron Lung Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote