View Single Post
Old 07-10-2020, 11:13 PM   #1
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
What's Everyone's Grams per Cylinder?

I am thinking I went to big with my cam. Seems like there has been a lot of talk lately and kind of seems like bashing of the big vendors and them overhyping their cam specs. I kind of agree with this and it just seems like no one has a analytical approach to come up with a cam (or cam package with ported heads) that truly increases power. I mean I know they have to do some testing?

In my case I have a 228/236, .635/.635, 114-LSA, 111-ICL TSP Stage 1/2 that was "supposedly" customized between a stage 1 and 2. I also have their CNC head porting. I really regret not degreeing the cam when I installed it, but its just so hard when I have limited room and trying to get everything back together in a decent amount of time and not having all the right tools so I was being impatient. I also have a Pray earlier model ported intake and TB with a Rotofab dry.

I have seen some reports of people with stock Corvette LT1's reporting cylinder airmass over .90 grams. The highest I think I have seen is .88. The airmass profile compared to RPMs seems correct as it peaks around 5300-5400 as I would expect with my bigger cam, but I feel like I should have more airflow and something is wrong.

Since I didn't degree the cam I don't have a good way to calculate the intake valve closing and the dynamic compression ratio. I have a feeling if I could I would be greatly disappointed. Supposedly around .015 were taken off my stock heads and from that I am calculating I should be at maybe around 11.8 or so static?

I am thinking about a ported MSD, but they are just so expensive and they also I have non-stock look and are kind of ugly. I also have completely stock exhaust and stock headers besides a straight delete pipe for the AFM exhaust flap actuators.

Is there anyway I can find out about where I am with DCR? Also I set my shift points up just based on gut feeling at around 6850, but given how difficult it is to control consistent WOT shifts by changing the shift MPH, sometimes I end up hitting the limiter even though I have tried to cut out its aggressiveness. Anyone think I should be shifting it higher? Only reason I don't try it is I feel nervous going over 7000 as I have seen worries about the stock rod bolts above 6800rpms?

So maybe its the restrictive stock intake manifold? Maybe the stock head flow is stalling? My butt dyno indicated basically the same power after the cam and heads swap with a noticeably better top end above 5500rpms with no loss of low end torque. So I regret my cam decision and wish I still had some cam phaser authority (maybe 10 degrees) so I could help idle quality too maybe. I kind of wish I would have tried the GM hot cam and heads, or a cam motion cam like everyone recommends. I also really don't like the smell even though I have all stock exhaust and cats.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote