View Single Post
Old 08-25-2019, 12:40 PM   #1
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Borla atak exhaust question

So.... I have a 2018 Chevy Silverado 5.3L which I just put a Borla ATAK dual exhaust system on....rear dual exit. I have to admit, I am not the most mechanically inclined, but I've never had this experience before and I would like to know if I'm being lied to about what's happening.
When I take off in this truck UNDER FULL THROTTLE , every time the truck shifts it pops/backfires . I asked at the dealer first and they suggested that I should put an air intake on the vehicle...that it sounded like it needed more air. Not completely satisfied with that answer I decided to call Borla. The rep said "TOTALLY NORMAL.... it's designed to do that" It's an acceleration pop is what he called it. Now he may have had another name for it, but unfortunately I'm getting older and forgot the exact name since it was a few days ago. I told him that it sounded like a backfire every time it shifts, but only under full throttle and one time it sounded like my AR15 going off …. At the time, I was trying to get past someone and at the exact moment it shifted we were going under an overpass which I'm sure amplified the sound. It scared the crap out of the guy I was passing which was actually pretty funny. When it first happened I figured it would need to be tuned, but I really don't want to void the engine warranty with only 2900 miles on it.
Anyone have any thoughts on this...…