View Single Post
Old 12-28-2017, 01:30 PM   #61
ZL1 1LE
@zle_blackwing

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
I've been thinking about this.

I recall seeing in the forums six months ago or so, about the first ZL1 1LE deliveries all being conducted in covered carriers. I believe that it was determined that the ride height/approach angle would not allow delivery by train or standard open carrier. A few months after that I recall seeing photos posted in the forums of 1LE's on standard carriers, but only in the last (back)positions (top and bottom) on the trailer. GM is a for profit venture, I get it. They found a way to reduce delivery cost and time.

Now we are seeing 1LE's being delivered in winter months in that same trailered position. Undoubtedly, subjected to every atomized drop of road salt spray that the rig can pick up and throw. The car on the bottom position may as well be driving on the wet salted pavement. If the delivery takes a week, the saline residue has been working it's magic the entire 7 days. That may explain the unacceptably absurd amount of corrosion on a brand new $74,000.00 car.

With all due respect to GM and Chevrolet, if all $56K Stingrays and $66K Grand Sports are delivered via covered carrier, shouldn't all $64K+ ZL1's be delivered in the same manner. As we are paying the same cost, if not more for a similar (if not higher) level of performance. Perhaps Chevy could at least make it an available option. I believe that most of us would gladly pay a premium to avoid what your dealer tried to push off on you Travis.

What are your thoughts?

Anyway, sorry for the rant. I can't help but feel for you. My TPW is at the end of January. I'm not worried about the ship transit, modern oceanic auto transport is top notch. Lansing to Long Beach in February-March will most likely be an extremely salty journey. I'll be losing sleep, and potentially a $5000 deposit if mine arrives in that condition.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.
I believe that we've seen open carriers full of nothing but ZL1 1LEs.