View Single Post
Old 03-17-2012, 11:32 PM   #21
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRLOIN View Post
As far as the price for the GT500, i reall don't feel like it's much more impressive than the ZL1. When talking numbers, yes the 650hp and 200mph for 54k sounds impressive, and is. But the ZL1's price, with it's 580hp and all it's goodies that the GT500 doesn't come standard with, makes up for the lack of HP and top speed numbers,(in terms of price). Hope that makes sense...

Weight wise, alot of people don't realize that the GT500 and ZL1 are very similar in size. Most of the weight difference comes from the Z's IRS. It is MASSIVE!!! This is also most of the reason the ZL1/Camaro have a better weight distribution.
If you swapped out the IRS for an SRA i guarantee you would lose atleast 200lbs. Probably more... That along with larger wheels/tires, drive shaft, and maybe a few other minor things im forgetting, there is your weight difference.

Here is a picture of the two rear ends for a comparison.

Camaro's IRS

Mustang's SRA

Omg, the mustangs rear looks soooo weak and cheap compared to the ZL1. Says a lot about the structure and integrity of the ZL1 vs. the GT500. Now I see why GM will warranty track use.