View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #14
KW Baraka

Drives: 2014 Chevy SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdgen3 View Post
.....Its more so a precaution, a "might as well" for good insurance.......

Keep in mind, Ive personally seen PLENTY of 'cam only' swapped LS motors in fbodys, trucks and other GM performance cars reuse the stock lifters when only changing the cam shaft with 100k+ miles. I'm not saying to do it..but you could.......
True.

Hydraulic roller valve trains do not establish 'wear patterns' in the way that the old flat-tappet valve trains did. Hydraulic roller lifters aren't imprinted to the old cam.....they are good to go with a new cam.

But like any hard part, they do eventually wear out.....and the 'jury' is still out on when that point is (75K miles? 150K miles? 200K+ miles?) I've seen 300K-mile LT1's that never had a valve train maintenance except new springs. So.....there's that.

The bottom line is, how much are you willing to replace and what are you willing to 'cheap-out' on?

Lifters are one of the last replacements I'd choose to make on a cam swap.....but at some point, you have to do a 'cost/benefit analysis' of what you have and what you can afford and maybe, come to the conclusion that another couple hundred bucks for new lifters beats the he11 out of footin' the bill for a new engine.

KW
KW Baraka is offline   Reply With Quote