View Single Post
Old 09-20-2021, 01:58 PM   #28
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
On that note, I don't understand how Tesla and Porsche are the only ones with really quick electric cars. Compared to a gas engine, it's a dead simple design, there isn't even a driveline to speak of, it's easy to achieve basically any 0-60 as long as the tires can put the torque down. Other aspects of the vehicle like chassis, suspension, aero can be done using the same honed in process.

Sure, there is the weight and the range problem, plus battery cooling (haha), but not much else and one can easily throw a lot of power at these. Devil in the details like with everything, but still, much-much more difficult problems have been solved with gas propulsion.

Software does not look like an issue, non-Tesla automotive software architectures are decades behind the curve in other fields, another easy target. It's like mobile phones and other earlier technologies all over again, another opportunity to start almost from scratch.
Here’s my thoughts on why Tesla and Porsche can deliver performance EVs while others cannot or do not. In the early stages of EV, cost, especially battery cost, is the 800 lb gorilla. You have to fight it to survive. There are two ways to fight it. Minimize the cost by making the battery as small as you can get away with while still providing sufficient range (most automakers) or say “I’ll price to cover my cost” which is the approach Tesla and Porsche took. They can both afford to take that approach because in Porsche’s case…show me an inexpensive Porsche. I’ll wait.

Porsche customers expect to pay a lot and as long as Porsche can show that they’re getting something for the Euro, and that it is technologically class leading, they’ll pay for it. Tesla started out with only high priced products and eventually worked their way down the price ladder parallel to their ability to reduce battery cost. Not having to worry about CAFE and/or fines is bonus. If Nissan had taken that approach with Leaf they would have been laughed out of the market. Remember Cadillac ELR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
I'll hold out for the 2035 EV Corvette model shown here...The longer you wait, the better the EV technology will be...

Attachment 1080266
I know the guy who led development of those autonomous pods. He was a director in R&D when I was a director in Technology Planning. Fascinating product, aimed primarily at China. More of a learning project than a serious product intent, but there were more than a handful produced and fully functional. Excellent tools for demonstrating vehicle-to-vehicle communication and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fak_Ork View Post
I can't imagine that BEV CT4 and CT5 replacements need to be to market by 2025, they are truly impressive cars, I just wish that Camaro level performance didn't cost 63K- 50 percent over the similar-platform Camaro. (1SS Auto with mag ride control vs CT4-V Blackwing Auto base)
CT4 / CT5 don’t necessarily have to go EV by 2025, but if Cadillac is going all EV by 2030 as they’ve stated, they can’t transition everything at once. Logic says Escalade will be last, since Escalade is clearly the cash cow for Cadillac. They won’t replace it with an EV until the very last possible moment. Lyriq is already on tap to replace XT5. If XT4 and XT6 replacements follow within the next couple years, that leave CT4 and CT5, both in the wildly popular sedan segment (<—sarcasm) and produced in a seriously under-utilized manufacturing plant that’s just begging to be converted to a Factory Zero. Leans heavily towards CT4 / CT5 being replaced by EV sooner than later. They may also wind up switching before XT4 / XT6 because from a portfolio point of view, Cadillac will already have an SUV EV. Adding a sedan EV broadens the portfolio before converting all the SUVs. That’s just me spit-ballin’ and pretending I’m still a Portfolio Planning executive.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote