View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #23
6bangerBOOM

Drives: 2016 1SS SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-dreamer View Post
I think you may want to pay an English major a few bucks to help you out with your grammar mistakes.
Lol, it's a pretty "rough" draft isn't it? No worries, I still have a week of clean up time before I submit. Just wanted to get it out to the communities that have helped me so much to produce it!

Bias will always be present in both the data providers and the analyzer. All knowledge creates bias (wisdom is something different than knowledge), so when I ask a sample what they know about being a gamer biases will always be present.

You brought up an interesting point about choice. Fairly consistent in the data was the theme of composing ones identity versus having said identity imposed by others. In that I mean some people claim they choose to accept a gaming identity because they do not care what others think, and others decide to keep it from public view because they do not want to be "labelled" as a gamer by their peer groups (and thus suffer the judgements associated with the negative connotations of gaming).

And yes, when we try to ascribe labels to ourselves we are just as right as we are wrong. To a degree we do fit our compose labels, yet we are always more than just them. A violent community will likely produce violent subjects regardless of pastimes. Violence is both a socially learned and natural behavior.
6bangerBOOM is offline   Reply With Quote