View Single Post
Old 08-06-2015, 09:29 AM   #1
Scalded Dog

Drives: 2011 1LT
Why won't my generator start?

I have a portable 5000W generator. It's an electric start, but can also be pull- cord started. Has a Briggs & Stratton engine. I purchased it two years ago, ran it a couple of times to test it out, but it has not been run since then. It might have a total of 15 minutes running time on it. It's been filled with gasoline, which had fuel stabilizer added to it. It has been stored in my basement, out of the weather/ elements.

I tried to fire it up yesterday. The battery was dead (as expected), so I tried to jump start it (12V system, easy to use automotive jump start equipment). The thing turns over just fine, but acts like there is no spark whatsoever... not even a hint of fuel ignition. Just for giggles, I tried pull starting it, too, just to see if there was any possible reason for it to work... got nothing.

I replaced the spark plug (and checked it: It makes a very healthy spark). I checked all fuel lines (all good). I drained the fuel, put fresh fuel in. Checked the oil (new, golden, and full). I inspected it from top to bottom, to see if rodents had chewed a wire, or anything had rusted: It looks perfect, looks brand new. I pulled the air filter off, even sprayed starting fluid directly into the carb.... nothing.

So before I push the $500 heap of metal off of a cliff, does anybody have ideas on what else I need to check?
Scalded Dog is offline   Reply With Quote