View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 01:15 PM   #43
Mosaic6SS

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
As long as it's a honeycomb you're seeing and not just a louvered/perforated internal pipe, seems like it'd have to be a converter. That wouldn't prevent it from performing some minimal resonator function, though.

Ryephile's picture doesn't look like there's enough internal volume in those rectangular-ish cans to give much resonator function for half of 6.2L worth of crossplane V8. On closer look, there does appear to be some sheet metal heat shielding. I've only seen that technique used with converters because of the extreme temperatures involved (seen a variety of converters myself, from pellet types to 4" in/4" out, and I've tackwelded a few heat shields back together to stop rattles rather than replace otherwise good shielding).
Norm

That’s what I am wondering whether they are considered full cats or not. I think someone said that the honeycomb pattern is larger and plus the material is of a ceramic type. Which is also used for converters outside of the normal metallic type. I cut the resonator off my mustang to add an x-pipe and noticed it was pretty close to the converts and it had a heat shield. I have also seen a few threads that said the mufflers were louder once these 2nd converters/resonators were removed, it seems to be true from the before and after sound videos I watched.
Mosaic6SS is offline   Reply With Quote