Thread: 2019 CTS-Fail
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 09:56 AM   #14
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Who said that the problem is the mere use of plastics? In a modern car, most of the interior surface is going to be made up of plastic panels, unless you literally wrap everything in leather or something. I mean, whats the alternative? Sheet metal everywhere? More wood panelling than a 1970s basement? Using plastic isn't the problem.

The complaints regarding the plastic in GM's interiors are generally about the quality of those plastics (surface texture/graining, hard vs soft) and the fitment (gaps, edges). Cadillac also frequently gets dinged for having too many material types in the design of their interior. Glossy plastic and carbon fibre and (faux?) aluminum and hard plastic and soft plastic and smooth plastic and grained plastic and and and. That kind of a mis-mash is generally a sign of poor design and/or cheap execution. Bad design because having too many materials looks like a collection of parts, not a unified design. Cheap execution because they're sticking bad plastic anywhere they think they can get away with it -instead of using higher quality stuff for a little bit more.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote