View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 06:46 PM   #6606
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
Don't know how accurate it was but someone on Facebook did the math and factoring in the train cars being on rails meant the truck really only had to exert enough force to pull like 1500 pounds or something.
What was it, a million pounds total? From what I could look up this evening, the resistance seems to be around 5 lbs per ton (I've seen it listed as 4 or sometimes even less, but I don't like to assume a best case scenario when I don't know much about what I'm doing).

Anyway, 1 million pounds is 500 tons. 500 ton x 5 lb/ton = 2500 lb. So 1500 is plausible, though maybe optimistic. I'd guestimate it at 3000 to give myself a little extra margin of error.

At any rate, its almost certainly going to be less than 5000 lbs of pulling force required. The max force a truck can pull with is pretty much its own weight, assuming its 4WD (RWD is a lot less, particularly with no tongue weight from the load). For an electric pickup, like Martinjlm was saying for the e-Escalade, you're looking at something weighing around 7000 lbs.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote