View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 01:38 PM   #6599
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I have a hard time seeing batteries coming real soon in FS vehicles, but GM had better step on it if they want to keep up with Ford's electric F150.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/7/23/2...on-pound-train

I don't know how long it will be until the F150 all electric truck hits the market, but if they are teasing it now, wouldn't you think we could see it on the streets in just a year or two? Maybe not...I don't know.

As for all electric in general, it seems that GM has that covered, as they have already announced multiple all electric vehicles coming, but I don't recall anything about full size.

I just wish instead they had done more with the voltec technology. Seems like a waste.
A part of the issue with Voltec is that it filled too specific of a niche. Turns out, there just isn't much overlap between people who are worried about an EV stranding them and those who want to drive electrically.

But beyond that, I think GM screwed themselves over when they decided that they'd just call the Volt an EV instead explaining it. So the EV crowd isn't ignores it because they know its a hybrid, while the average buyer sees it as a $40k Cruze that can only be driven 40 miles at a time. They don't wait around for anyone to explain how its hybrid electric+range extender system works, because they don't care.

A way smarter move would have been to embrace its original mission statement: kicking Toyota (Prius) in the teeth. Airing ads along the lines of 'the average Prius driver uses 20 gallons of gas per month. The Volt? 1, sometimes none' or whatever. Focus on the fact that it uses less gas (rather than more electricity), because that has a way broader appeal than touting a tiny electric range.

On a tangent to all that, I think GM missed a big opportunity with the Voltec system. It would have been perfect as a 'beta test' for unconventional engine setups. HCCI, or a Wankel, or opposed pistons, or whatever. There are other forms of internal combustion engine besides the normal 4 stroke Otto (or Atkinson) cycle that have certain efficiency or mass benefits, but for one reason or another aren't quite ideal for the average car. The limited operating parameters required of a Voltec generator could mask those drawbacks while maximizing the advantages. And with what was learned from using an HCCI (or whatever) engine in a Volt could be applied to putting that tech into mass market cars.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote