View Single Post
Old 01-08-2023, 08:05 PM   #148
The SS Godfather

Drives: 2010 CAMARO RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyPaceCar View Post
I apologize if this topic has already been discussed. I tried searching the forum, but the search feature was not functioning. If it has been discussed, please provide links to the discussion pages.

Just received my insurance renewal notices for my 2021 1SS. It showed a 25% premium increase, and mentioned that premiums are based on a number of factors, including personal data in a report provided to the insurance company by a company called LexisNexis. It also mentioned that you can request a copy of this report from LexisNexis, which I did, and they mailed me a letter containing a website and password to be used in viewing , and/or downloading/printing the 150+ page report. It contains information such as credit history, residence addresses, etc.

I was quite surprised to find that it also contained data provided by General Motors Holding in Detroit pertaining to my driving practices. There were records of 175 trips which included data categories for each trip :
Start Date, Start Time, End Date, End Time, Acceleration Events, Hard Brake Events, High Speed Events, Distance, and VIN. I was aware that various insurance companies offer incentives if you install a monitoring device which captures this data, but had no idea that GM was collecting this data, and providing to third parties. I called my insurance agent to ask if this data may have been a factor in the 25% increase in my premium; he said that the insurance company does not reveal to him how much each of the 40 or so factors influences the premiums, and also that he was totally unaware that GM was providing this data.

I did not extend the use of OnStar or the My Chevy app once the free introductory periods expired, but from what I’ve read, GM still collects this information and provides it, and the ability to collect it is somehow tied to the vehicle’s infotainment and/or Bluetooth features. I tried googling to see if there are ways to disable this, and was unable to come across any information that might be helpful.

Does anybody have any comments on this issue ? Does anybody know how to prevent GM from gathering this data (short of removing the infotainment and Bluetooth features from the vehicle). ?

Thanks
Yes , this seems to be world wide with the insurance companies !!
Same here with a 20% increase and all the bullshit they fed me!!
I went to another two companies, increased the value of my SS by 15k!!! (Camaro values up) and got a deal 20% less than my old insurance company !! so win win for me for the next 12 months...... See what happens in December !!!
The SS Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote