View Single Post
Old 04-23-2023, 08:06 AM   #40
Shawnqa800720

Drives: 2018 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPE View Post
Not a forum expert, but in the 2023 Track Prep guide it does specifically say that Mobil 1 15W50 can be used in a regular SS (and ALL 1LE variants, along with the regular ZL1, and being required in the ZLE). Given that, GM would be hard-pressed to deny a warranty claim for using the 'wrong oil', when it's specifically listed in their own literature.

Different car, but I believe all Vorshlag used in their S197 5.0 Mustang was Mobil 1 15W50, and it had no engine issues that I recall while setting numerous track records etc.

Motor oil is, and always will be (until we're all in EVs and I'm dead), the source of endless debate on the internet, but I'm inclined to believe if they recommend 15W50 as the ONLY oil for the ZLE on track, and they say you can use it in all other performance oriented Camaros, you can't hurt anything by running it in a gripped up SS. And may in fact help. Also, it seems to be notably cheaper than the DexosR 0W40, so that's a bonus. I just wouldn't run it in winter, for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the reply. I did run it once on track and it seemed fine. But I also drive my car to and from the track. Being lazy I left the oil in for a few extra days and the car went into limp mode on a trip to the mall (assuming it was oil starvation). I changed the oil to the Dexos daily oil and it exited limp mode. It was not winter as I only track during the summer months. So, even if it is good for the track, 15-50 is definitely not good for daily driving and should be changed immediately.
2018 Red Hot 1SS, GM lowering kit & 1LE Sway bar kit, ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings, BMR sway bar end links, GM CAI w/tune, Pray ported IM, Mamo ported TB, VS Forged VS07 rims 20x11 & 20x10 w/ Michelin PS4S
Shawnqa800720 is offline   Reply With Quote