View Single Post
Old 08-29-2015, 09:34 PM   #20
noname

Drives: 3LT Z51
Ok, so I could only go about 15-18 minutes of hard driving on the track before going into transmission limp mode.

I took it to the dealer who said that there were no codes saying that something was wrong, so he had nothing to fix. I told him to flush the transmission, hoping new fluids would improve the durability.
It worked a little. I could go about 20 minutes before overheating. Still not enough to make a full session despite avoiding the redline like the plaque.

Finally, I break down and figure that since GM could care less about this obvious, well-documented problem, I might as well fix it myself. I got an aftermarket cooler (larger than the Z06), installed that, and moved the OEM cooler to over the leafspring, running 2 coolers. I swapped out the pan for a larger capacity pan increasing the transmission fluid capacity by about a gallon. I went ahead and upgraded the radiator too, so that absolutely nothing would overheat.

Today, I ran a couple of full sessions in ambient temperature of 97 degrees (103 per the stingray ambient thermometer) and the max transmission temperature was only about 225.
One caveat: it was a track I had never ran before, so I was definitely going much slower, and shifting a lot less. I definitely wasn't pushing the car and never redlined it. Usually my mpg is about 7 or 8, but today it was 10.5, so clearly I wasn't driving her very hard. But, no limp mode at all.
noname is offline   Reply With Quote