View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 09:27 PM   #37
toohighpsi

Drives: 2015 C7 Z06 M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
wold like to see a dyno. In the olddays, both turbo and non-intercooled supercargers were more of the norm, I drove types over say 200,000 miles. I felt the gain and bang for the dollar to be worth it, mild boost levels from 5 to 7 PSI. I'd like to see a dyno of of this setup and about how long the mix would last on the street... say 1 gallon and I do 20 seconds of wot every day or 50 miles a day.
I have run both scenarios

I setup the engine dyno with a completely stock LT1 (including all stock fuel system) with a Magnuson Heartbeat 2300. I used good old California Chevron 91 octane in the tank and outfitted the throttle body inlet tube with a dual large nozzle AEM water injection system delivering up to 1600 cc/min of a 50/50 water/meth mix. Engine was tuned to for max power under both conditions (pulley timing and A/F) and while I really thought they would make about the same power, they did not.

Intercooled made 729 HP
Non - Intercooled made 678 HP

It seemed the biggest trouble I ran into when trying to run high levels of water/meth injection without the intercoolers was cylinder to cylinder distribution. The intercoolers in the mainfold seem to do a nice job of driving distribution throughout the manifold. I would have like to try straight methanol which would possibly help with distribution, but time didn't allow.

Now, with that being said, the addition of water/meth to this engine/sc combination added about 110 HP overall on pump gas (intercooled or not) and the NON intercooled SC system with water/meth made ~ 60 HP over the base intercooled SC kit on pump gas alone.

So, if the question is can you make as much power with the non intercooled kit with water injection as you can with the intercooled kit? The answer is an easy yet - but no matter which way you look at it (with or without water/meth), the intercoolers add at least 50 HP to the system...

www.toohighpsi.com

2015 Corvette Z06 M7
2021 Porsche GT4 M6
2023 Corvette Z51
toohighpsi is offline   Reply With Quote