View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 01:16 AM   #22
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
I think EVs, and more specifically lighter/higher capacity batteries, are great and are advantageous in many scenarios. Look at modern phones and power tools and how much we have increased battery performance.

That being said a lot of good points have been made though. The thing is people truly believe that a Tesla model S is going to instantly save the world from all this supposed impending doom. To me all Tesla did was just stuff a huge amount of extra batteries which fixed the problem of EV's having the slow stigma. But why doesn't a Tesla carry the same stigma as Hummers and SUVs did during the 2000s gas crises? How is that many batteries a "sustainable" product?

I see a repeat of the late 1970s coming when leaded fuel was taken away, but I see reality hitting when manufactures realize how much batteries they need, especially when you build cars like Teslas which have an insane amount of them, I think they are going to have to significantly cut back on batteries, and thereby cutback on weight, which will of course slow them down.

I see so much hype and, of the grid will handle it fine, oh in 10 years everything will be electric, oh there will be charging stations everywhere. Its a whole lot of talk and yet to see action.

And also they love to hype up the "zero emissions" fantasy as well, but the modern ICE with modern emissions controls is virtually "zero emissions" as well but the average person is just so convinced every time they turn on a ICE millions will die. Of course if you consider CO2 an emission than they aren't, but for the emissions that are actually harmful to human health or the environment there has been so much progress made.

If the EPA can make these weakly associated claims in how this is going to prevent millions of cancer related deaths and lung disease deaths why can't I relate all the millions of suicide deaths on celebrities making people feel ugly and Instagram obsessions making people murder others?

The absolute worst thing we can do is start banning things, and banning ICE is all I see and the world is obsessed with it. I agree with the Forbes article 100000% which is extremely surprising for them to make those statements given Forbes in extremely biased on one end of the political spectrum.

Last edited by cmitchell17; 11-20-2021 at 01:26 AM.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote