View Single Post
Old 08-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
Vette Pax

Drives: 1999 C5; 2016 C7 Stingray
Factory Oil No Longer Mobil 1??

I took our 2016 Stingray in for the first oil change this morning to a local Chevy dealer which was recommended. When I spoke last week with the service rep who is the Corvette guy, I asked him if the oil change would be with Mobil 1-he said "yes" and that it would be free. So, when we rolled in, I spoke with the mechanic, telling him this is first oil change and I was told it would be with Mobil 1. He didn't say anything. Well, when they called us to the cashier, the bill was $70 because in their terms "I had asked for an oil upgrade to Mobil 1." I was telling her that such was not explained to me & one of the other service managers butted in and told me that the 2016s no longer come with Mobil 1, only approved Dexos synthetic and that Mobil 1 IS an upgrade. I told them about my prior conversation with the Corvette service manager and the cashier called him. She then told me that there would be no charge for that oil change. Kudos to the Corvette service manager for standing by what he told me.

I did an internet search but could not find any verification that the factory no longer uses Mobil 1. Does anyone know for sure if the factory no longer uses Mobil 1? And, is there really a factory service bulletin telling dealers which oil to use for 2016 Corvettes? (ours is a LT1)

[And, yes, I know that the manual only recommends Mobil 1.]
Vette Pax is offline   Reply With Quote