View Single Post
Old 01-15-2018, 12:55 PM   #37
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
JNB,
My post was not intended to incite an argument with you. I’m not waving any “no way” flags. I’m just not convinced Musk and his car are the “second coming” and I’m not willing jump into the end to end economics of the Tesla ownership experience, even though one his Model S cars would fit within my budget and within my daily commute needs.

I do know several people that own Model S cars and some have gotten out of them. There are a number of them coworkers drive to my work. All have brought up the issues of “refueling” on cross country trips and the economics. All had gasoline cars in addition to the Tesla. All can afford all the gasoline a 7 Series could burn. A few weeks ago, I watched as a couple waiting for the charge to come up on their Models S at the charging station at Harris Ranch halfway between LA and Frisco. They were there when we arrived for lunch and gas and when we left.

I think the one of the more significant contributions Tesla made is building attractiveness to an electric car. Electric cars have been around for near 100 years. Musk neither invented the electric car, electric motor, nor the lithium battery. All of it was being used in toy cars before he used these components and if he was the first, good on him. But it was going to happen with or without him. In contemporary times, Ford had the EV. It was a bottom feeder econo car. Musk took a different tact and went for the money. He made an electric car cool to own. He’s doubling down on investing in the cool factor by building the proposed roadster. I think it’s a smart move. But really....Tesla stock has a paper a-hole at this time. I’m not buying his cars or his stock.

If you like the Tesla, I wouldn’t think less of you for purchasing one. And yes, I do think they are “ like a sports car”. That’s not a bad thing.