View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 10:47 AM   #5
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
Well this is annoying to hear. A family member picked up a C7 Z51 that is an A8 and I was going to track it. I have had ZERO issues with my A6 in my ZL1 and I track the piss out of that thing, doing 30+ minute sessions down here in HOT Texas weather.

The Z51 already has a trans cooler so that begs the question of is the ZL1 and/or Z06 trans cooler really that much better? Honestly I'm a bit surprised that the ZL1's A6 doesn't have issues but the C7's A8 does.
I have not made any changes myself, my car is still completely stock (other than motul brake fluid) but I ran out at eagles canyon on a day that had max temps in the 50's and I could only get about 20 minutes of laps before the trans overheated. There were other C7's out there in the green group and they were running just a little slower than I was and not having any problems. It seems like if you drive it at 80-90% it is fine but if you drive it at 95% it overheats.

I think the biggest difference between ZL1 and C7 is the transmission location. In the C7 it is in the back of the car and the exhaust is right up against it. I really think heat wrapping the pipes would make all the difference in the world. I have not scheduled a track day since but told myself I would not do it until I got something fixed.

Change the brake fluid and see if you can get some heat wrap on the exhaust pipes across the length of the transmission and I think it will work pretty well.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote