View Single Post
Old 04-23-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
jessrayo
Speed Freak

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Camaro, 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by noname View Post
Paddle shift.

My Z51 began to overheat when I ran it on auto one session and (after letting it cool down), the paddle shifting didn't overheat it. Also I found that I was learning more by consciously paddle shifting instead of letting the car do it.

At the Corvette Driving School (Ron Fellows), which is held in Pahrump NV in the desert under far hotter conditions that we drive in, they force you to paddle shift only so that you don't overheat the car.

Of course you can always turn off the a/c, and turn on the heater to dissipate the heat as well. I also keep the hood open in between sessions to let it cool down.
That is an interesting comment because I was paddle shifting and if you are not watching the trans temp like a hawk that is how you know it is overheated, it won't respond to the paddles any more. I goes into full auto mode and ignores your paddle selections.

I posted a similar comment on another forum and found that people are heat wrapping the exhaust where it passes the transmission. LG motorsports is adding a larger trans fluid pan and there is discussion that the Z06 front trans cooler may be retrofitted into the Z51 but I have not heard confirmation of anyone that actually performed the install.

2013 ZL1 -ADM - 427 LSX 6 bolt, O-ringed block built by LME. Twin PT6466 turbos. RPM custom manual trans, RPS Quad carbon clutch, 9" Hendrix rear diff & axles. ADM/squash fuel system, Ron Davis radiator, Spal fans, AGP air to air, turbo plumbing. LPE oil cooler, rear bushing upgrade, roll bar...etc. rwhp 1400+... 212.5mph, best Texas mile to date.
jessrayo is offline   Reply With Quote