View Single Post
Old 12-15-2018, 11:57 PM   #8
JGiovando

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE HBM
I'm going to go the other way here and say I'm surprised no one ever discusses the cons to e85. I reached out to several well known and respected tuners in Florida because I read all the rave reviews on here about e85 and was looking to have my car tuned and they won't even tune for e85 due to their belief that it is too likely to harm the engine and fuel system components. Both mentioned the need to go with bigger injectors to compensate for decreased efficiency of e85 and potentially changing the fuel pump and fuel filters, problems with corrosion, and stress on engine internals. Additionally, gas mileage is significantly reduced and then there is the hygroscopic nature of ethanol which could lead to rust and further damage within the engine. Also our cars were not built as flex fuel vehicles. Just jumping in here cause I never see anyone share this side to it. I'd personally love to do it for the added hp and torque with the tune but after talking with these guys and doing some reading I've decided to table it and watch to see how some of these cars hold up after years of running e85.
JGiovando is offline   Reply With Quote