Thread: 2021+ A10 1LE
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2020, 12:03 AM   #26
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
Tell that to the C8 team while you're at it. Personally, I really hope they DCT the Camaro, I would finally care about an "automated" transmission. No doubt the A10 is a good transmission, but good is the enemy of great. Publications have yet to rave about the A10 the way they do about the PDK; they wax poetic over PDK.
I can’t disagree with you about the wonderfulness of the PDK, but it just doesn’t interest me because I’m a diehard manual guy. The C8 team has said the current DCT won’t handle the extra horsepower of the ZL1 (or the upcoming Z06) which is a moot point, since the design architecture already eliminates it from consideration. And you should expand the range of your bathroom reading - - there have been plenty of rave reviews of the A10, like this one from Car and Driver in its coverage of last fall’s Lightning Lap:

“A supercharged V-8 with 650 horsepower and torque means the Camaro really doesn't need 10 gears, but the shifts are so quick and the programming is so spot on that it picks the perfect gear while you're concentrating on braking. There's no need to go to the paddles.”

I’ve owned two cars with DCTs (non-Porsches) and hated them both. They stumbled at launch, even around town; hunted a lot for a gear when slowing down; and just generally felt not quite fully developed. Porsche aside (maybe), I think you’ll see manufacturers continue to drop DCTs in favor of lower-priced, electronically controlled automatics with carefully matched and controlled differentials. And then there’s the bottom line: GM isn’t going to dump a bunch of money into developing, testing and gaining federal approval for a new drivetrain for the Camaro, which sadly is nearing its second death in the automotive marketplace.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote