View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #626
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Just some highlights there, you talk about getting used to it, making concessions, adapting to it and having compromise....It might not be as bad as people like to make it out but it is an issue. you said yourself, you have gotten used to it, you have had to stop short at stoplights to see the light and it's got elements of compromise.

Now imagine you have never driven one of these cars before and are comparing it to Mustang and Challenger for the first time ever. The first impression many people have on a short test drive might be that it's significantly worse than the other two. That's what I am getting at. It might be enough of an issue to turn off first time buyers especially in the lower trims when it can't use the performance factor to compensate for other "issues"
I hear you shaffe, it's just that similar compromises are made with almost every new or different car one drives. Maybe not with the short stops at lights but not having enough power to shoot out when needed, or lacking cooled seats, or perhaps having to get used to body roll the size of Alaska, or a vacuum cleaner engine sound, there is always something that isn't ideal (and if everything is, the price tag will be the silent killer )

Rear visibility is even worse in sedans with two or three bulky rear headrests, yet nobody brings that up... much of this is a perception "game", someone started this "visibility in the Camaro is horrendous" meme and it just won't die.

Oh, and there are subjective preferences, too—I for one wouldn't want to own and see a car every day whose midsection reminds me of a blister (Mustang) or one that looks like a raindrop overall (Porsche), even if that might be better for visibility and the most aerodynamic shape. Overall, there seem to be many people to whom this initial visibility impression matters more, and they buy Mustangs, I have zero problems with that. Other still crave the 70s to 90s style street brute look and thickly padded giant seats, they buy the Challenger. There should be an offering to cater to all these tastes

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote