View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 10:52 PM   #6
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Sodium is one of the four electrolytes you need. Add in calcium,magnesium and potassium and you’ve got it covered. The really good hydration drinks have all four electrolytes and low sugar.
There’s actually about a dozen or so electrolytes you need, but the one you lose the most through sweating is salt and is the one most important to replenish if you are sweating a lot and drinking large quantities of water.

I don’t like any artificial or natural supplemental sweeteners in my drinks. At home I mix 1/2 tsp of table salt with 1/4 tsp of Morton’s Salt Substitute to 2 quarts of water. This gives you sodium, chloride, and potassium. Tap and bottled water already have calcium and magnesium. Commercially prepared electrolyte replacements are fine, but greatly overpriced for what they actually do.

In a pinch (pardon the pun), a pinch of salt to one glass of water is a great idea if you find yourself drinking a lot of plain water. It’s the main electrolyte you’re going to need and it’s readily available.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote