View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 03:14 PM   #8
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams76 View Post
Didnt Al also say there would never be a 4 cylinder camaro?
Yes and no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Motorsports View Post
Via: GMAuthority.com

Camaro Chief Al Oppenheiser: Next-Gen Camaro Will Not Offer A Four-Cylinder

In a bid to offer a more refined, efficient, and nimble car that will be competitive not only in North America, but in Europe as well as in other parts of the world, Ford has said it will offer a turbocharged four-cylinder engine in the next-generation 2015 Mustang. This has led to speculation that General Motors will follow suit and offer a four-banger in the next-gen 2015 (or 2016) Camaro.

According to AutoGuide, a four cylinder engine option will not find its way under the hood of the next Camaro, at least not if Camaro chief engineer Al Oppenheiser has anything to do with it.

“We’re not following Ford”, Oppenheiser told AG during the 2013 SEMA show. “As long as they’ll pay me to be the chief engineer, I’m going to fight for every horsepower I can and every cylinder I can,” he said. Corporate Average Fuel Economy (CAFE) standards for cars will jump from an average of 27.5 MPG, where it has been since 1990, to 37.8 MPG by 2016. This mandated increase is forcing automakers to downsize engines, some of which have been removing two cylinders while adding forced induction such as turbo-charging. As such, some V8s are being replaced with turbo-charged six-cylinders, and naturally-aspirated six-cylinders have been eschewed in favor of boosted fours.

He also added that downsizing the car or the engine too much will stray too far from what the Camaro is all about, and make people question whether the car should continue on.

“We’ve established what the Camaro is. And if the Camaro ceases to become a Camaro, you’ve got to consider, do you take Camaro out in the future.”

it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote