View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
BMDMAX

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray Z51
First Oil Change

I just finished the first oil change on my Z51 at 1,200 miles. This is my first dry sump vehicle but it went really smooth just following the procedure outlined in the manual. I purchased a set of Race Ramps RR-XT-2 two piece 67-inch service ramps to get the car up in the air. I measured using the yardstick method outlined on their website and it looked like I would have about an inch to spare but they just barely cleared. The inner edge of the flexible air dams just touched the ramp surface but they did clear. Any mods lowering the car and you would need the extenders but the 67 inch ones work saving 100 bucks or so if you are at stock height.

The drain procedure was pretty simple, the car was warmed up so the oil drained very quickly. The drain plugs were 15MM and easy to deal with but the rear plug was easier to get to using a ratcheting box end versus a ratchet and socket.

My car came with the PF64 filter from the factory. I replaced it with the UPF48R which was dimensionally identical.

Here is a shot of the oil filter head:

There is very little hand clearance when reinstalling the oil filter so I did use a rubber strap wrench for the final tightening to ensure it was properly tightened.

I did a drain, flush and fill of the Dexcool for the Duramax too while waiting on the oil to drain out of the Vette.

All in all a pretty easy job once you get the car up in the air. I was glad to get that first change in to dump out any break in wear particles etc. The oil looked pretty good with nothing evident of excessive wear and I did save the first filter for inspection if anything ever comes up wrong with the engine.

Stingray Photos

BMDMAX Diesel Site
BMDMAX is offline   Reply With Quote