View Single Post
Old 11-18-2016, 10:32 AM   #237
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChrisLS3 View Post
The more I think about it, what if they just put the LT1, as is, in the ZL1 body and called it a day.

This is pretty much what they did with the Grand Sport Corvettes and they sold a boatload of the C6 and the C7 version is getting some pretty good reviews. It's proven formula for them, and now that there is an actual "wide body" Camaro, I don't see why it wouldn't work here. If you haven't seen a ZL1 up close yet, just wait, it's nothing short of spectacular.

Forget that the previous Z/28 was the ultimate track car. Amazing as it was, it was a unicorn. They only made a few (relatively) and had a hard time selling those. I think there is a big market for people that would really want the ZL1 widebody look that don't necessarily want the 650HP, or forced induction, or the $62K price tag, but love the look of the ZL1. I think GM would sell a lot of these cars. JMHO

Those good Grand Sport reviews are because of how well it handles, not because its marginally wider than a basic Corvette. Sticking the ZL1 fascia, hood, and fenders onto an SS & calling it a Z/28 will not generate the same reviews.

And I've seen a ZL1 up close, a couple of them actually. Never really cared about how wide it was. Well, thats not true. I appreciated that they made the fascia wider so that it had more airflow for cooling, and understood that that required pushing the fenders out further (as well as making for a new hood). But as far as how wide it looks? I simply do not care in the slightest.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote