View Single Post
Old 11-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #228
NemesisC5

Drives: 1999 Corvette C5
I've been following the C7 ZR1 development rumors and find some similarities to Z28 in that they both have more aero development than other cars of the same pedigree indicated track focused design. Both have generated interest as to what is under the hood with recent ZR1 rumors of 700+ HP. Recent pictures of the big winged camo covered mules show attention is being given to front fascia to channel more air to aid cooling especially with speculated HP increase. One possible option with minimal cost to increase power would be to utilize the new Eaton 170* 2650cc twin rotors (read link below and notice publish date). There was early rumor from an insider with resources that LT4 would have big brother with larger displacement blower. I'm "speculating" this may align with new engine destined for 2018 Z28 to further set it apart from 2017 ZL1.

My theory regarding rear/mid engine Corvette in development is not a C8 but rather a stand alone platform named the Zora without any monikers associated at all, especially not ZR1. Likely to come with twin turbos and 4 valve DOHC engine similar to European counterparts and Ford GT. A rumor from long ago and still standing is that GM will produce the rear/mid engine Zora and C7 both for about 2 years which makes no sense. Over 600,000 square feet is being added to Bowling Green plant for what is labeled as state of the art paint shop along with another un-named building to require approximately 280 additional employees. I believe the added infrastructure is for new Zora and current C7 then eventually C8 Corvette development and production. C8 likely to be evolution of C7 with front/mid engine like current vehicle to keep it affordable to current demographic and maintain exclusivity of rear/mid engine Zora design similar to what Ford is doing with Mustang and Ford GT platforms. Consider that a good portion of those purchasing Ford GT at $400k+ is adding a new demographic to Ford customer portfolio..that's Ferrari territory. I'm not saying Zora will MSRP for $400k but could be close in $200k territory in my wild speculation.

L88 trademarked by GM within last 12 months as well, could this be a 7.0 liter NA engine destined for 2018 Z28 or 2018 Corvette track focused model, C7 ZO6X perhaps? OR will there indeed be a big brother to LT4 with larger displacement supercharger?

I've visited Camaro6 over the years looking for information on new GM models and their powertrains. While here today I shared a couple thoughts, observations and opinions in this post of commonalities I believe to be relevant to recent Camaro and Corvette developments.

Link to Eaton Rotors (notice the publish date)

Rendering of possible ZR1 on CF home page

Scotty
NemesisC5 is offline   Reply With Quote