View Single Post
Old 08-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #348
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
I've also heard the same from people I have talked to. Something funky going on in that trans. My equinox does the same crap, GM says, "that's normal."
So when talking about the trans in the Colorado, you have to separate the 15 and 16 from the 17s. The 15/16 use the LFX engine with the 6 speed auto while the 17s use the LGZ engine with the 8 speed auto.

Lots and Lots of people complain about a shudder issue with the 15 and 16 model. Its not something wrong with the trans, but more about the tuning. The transmission per my understanding, is the same hardware used in the 2010 - 2015 Camaro V6, and many other GM products over the years. In the Camaro, the thing was near bulletproof (the manual had issues early on). In my old 2010 Camaro V6 the transmission was consistently smooth and quick and never gave me a worry. Hardly any complaints on Camaro5 during the many years I was very active there.

So my conclusion is that GM was so focused on getting the very best MPGs out of the Colorado, that the TCM was tuned to hang on to the highest gear as long as possible. I have a 2015 Colorado, and I can tell you it will hang on to a gear while going up a hill (light throttle load) until the RPMS almost dip sub 1,000 rpm. Lots of people experienced a shudder as if the transmission was trying to decide whether or not to drop a gear. GM did have a TCM update available for the trucks, but its a toss up on whether it actually helped or not. So far, in my short time with my used 2015 Colorado, I've been happy with the shifting. It does have the TCM update now.

The 2017 has the 8 speed, and those studder issues should have gone away. I'm not seeing as many complaints about it on the forums as I have seen with the 15 and 16 model, but there are some. Maybe GM did the same thing and it has tuning issues that make it too soft.

I can tell you that if its anything like the 8 speed in my Camaro SS, I would love to have that 8 speed in my Colorado.