Thread: Z06 too much?
View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 10:14 PM   #7
noname

Drives: 3LT Z51
Simply goto the dealer and test drive a base stingray, Z51, GS, and Z06, and your heart will tell you what you want.

I have a '14 Z51, simply because there was no Z06 at the time. I was recently in an accident, and this week asked myself, "should I fix my Z51 or just buy a new Z06 at discount now?"

I found the Z51 to have a much better engine sound than Z06 (just my opinion, so don't yell at me). I thought the Z51 was throatier and deeper.

As far as performance. I found NO difference. Yes I know the supercharged Z06 has way more horsepower and torque than the Z51. I've experienced it on the track when a Z06 zooms by me on the straightaway. I KNOW the Z06 is better, but I didn't FEEL it.

My guess is that since I track my Z51, I drive it at 100% (on the track). There's no way I'm going to drive a Z06 anywhere near it's limits on a test drive on cold tires. But this test drive told me that on the street, I wouldn't really FEEL much different than a Z51. In either car, I'm zooming by everyone else. In other words, the Z51 was plenty of power for me on the street.

On the track is a different story. There is clearly a big difference between the Z06 and Z51 on the track. I have been beaten many times on a lap by a Z06. However, I have never been beaten in a SESSION by a Z06. What I'm saying is that they have an overheating problem and they usually limp off, and I've never seen a Z06 last an entire session in the heat, much less an entire day (if your Z06 never overheats good for you, so don't yell at me).

I realized that the Z06 gave ME no extra happiness on the street and would cause me frustration on the track (by overheating). (Your experience may vary so don't yell at me).

So after the test drive, I knew which car I wanted.

I suggest that you simply do the same. Go test drive all of the models, and you'll know what you want. Good luck!
noname is offline   Reply With Quote