View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017, 03:27 PM   #23
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
I dug up the repair invoice for the steering rack on my Camaro. It listed the following info:

Quote:
Steering gear has internal fault causing noise. Replaced steering gear assembly. Added fluid and bled system.

Part: 22930456 Gear Assembly
Part: 89021182 Fluid

I looked up the part number and AC Delco uses it as well but GMPartsDirect.com shows it as manufactured by GM. The dealership that did the work usually only uses GM factory parts for repairs done under warranty, so I'd assume this was the GM part.

However, I don't think it really matters much which "part" you end up with. I made it about 40k miles on the 2nd gear assembly before the noise returned. Exactly the same noise as last time. First gear assembly was replaced at 36702 miles. [incorrect mileage listed in my post above, that was probably the first time I brought it in to have it looked at.] Now that I'm at 80k+ miles, I'm likely to let the noise get worse before I replace it again since I'm completely out of any warranty coverage and will be paying out of pocket for the repair this time.