View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 04:15 PM   #5
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Blackheart View Post
Hello-

I am familiar with porting on old muscle cars, not so much with LT1 engines like found in my 2019 Camaro SS. I see no reason not believe that the principles are still the same. From reading the forums here porting seems to be an improvement.

Why did GM not port TBs, intake manifolds, heads (port and match)?

I have to think that porting any one of these components is better than no porting at all. Wouldn't you derive best result from porting and matching, or is that irrelevant these days?

Would close enough be good enough for general driving with some spirited track/autocross from time to time?

Thanks in advance!
Porting is definitely still a thing a there are gains to be had.

That being said, the engineers at GM really upped their game when they came out with the LS1 and especially the LS6 on the C5 Z06 Corvette.

When the Gen 3/4 engines came out, the heads and intake manifold outflowed the best parts in the aftermarket of the Gen 1/2 smallblock. And it was a while before the aftermarket was able to equal let alone improve on the GM parts they were so good.

And that continues to this day with the LT1.

But it is definitely a cost thing and if porting, matching, etc. only gets you a few extra HP/TQ, its not worth the cost for GM.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote