View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 08:09 PM   #69
NG329

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LESS1 View Post
Fact check for you... ZLE has more weight over front axles which is due to not only the supercharger on top of the engine which is bad for CG since the higher the weight is above the vehicle altitudinal center the harder it is to lower CG.
Yes, the ZL1-1LE is heavier. I read the brochure. 60lbs heavier than an SS Automatic and 120lbs heavier than an SS manual. The car also sits lower to the ground by an inch affecting that center of gravity. I'm still waiting for you to quote a credible source stating that GM got it wrong for their top spec Camaro and that the SS-1LE has a better center of gravity. I'll wait, but I won't be holding my breath because I value life.

Quote:
Add to this the fact that the ZLE utilizes 390 mm front rotors and a different caliper that weigh ~ 32 lbs per side vs SS 1LE which are ~25.2 lbs per side, roughly 14 lbs additional rotating weight over the front axle.
Nice. You quoted the brochure. But that has absolutely nothing to do with the car's center of gravity.

Quote:
I won't bother to go into the impacts of rotating weight that moves at wheel speed and how this effects suspension pefromance since this is lost on you anyway.
How do you know what's lost on me? I'd like to think that I'm a pretty smart guy who works for a top global wealth management firm and rubs shoulders with people who's net worth are well into the hundreds of millions of dollars on a daily basis. I'm actually in the top 5% of talent in my respective field globally. I saved my company $13MM a short while ago spearheading a campus wide cost saving initiative which was eventually adopted nationally across all other sites. I have investments in multiple countries and a side income that nets six figures without an advertising budget. What is it you do again to imply that I'm clueless and can't understand something as basic as rotating mass? Let's keep it about cars because you wouldn't survive 10 minutes in my world.

Quote:
While the chassis is indeed the same the SS 1LE doesn't have the extra cooling needed for the supercharger... last time I checked this was on the front of the car.
Again, you said "better center of gravity". The ZL1 being heavier is not in question. Do you even understand what "Center of gravity" is and how it relates to chassis dynamics? I bet you probably think that lighter is always better right? In fact, I'd bet money on that since you're bragging about how lightweight flywheels are the magic key to the SS. Let me help you out: Lighter is not always better on rotating parts because of something called MOI (Moment of Inertia). I'll simplify this for you since you're probably seething by now. What matters more is WHERE the weight is placed in addition to the total weight. So in other words, you have some lightweight wheels that don't handle as well as slightly heavier wheels because of where the weight is placed on the wheel (the lip for example as opposed to near the wheel hub). The weight should be as close to the center as possible. The further away the weight is from the center, the more detrimental affect it will have on handling. So while the ZL1-1LE brake rotors are indeed heavier, the additional weight is in the center of the rotor reducing it's negative effect on handling.

Quote:
FFinally, the misinformation here is coming from you... including the ~2.14 equivalent HP per pound of weight reduction that rotates at engine speed.
No, it was you who quoted that dumb assed '2.14 equivalent HP' and it is wrong.

Quote:
As for your drag racing comment... again you are mistaken, plenty of road race teams use lightweight flywheels and clutches,
I never said teams don't use it. What I said was "I don't recommend it", and I stand by that. Just because a race team uses it, doesn't mean that it's gospel or that it'll work on your stock assed SS. Race teams are all about collecting data and experimentation. I also doubt that they are lightening flywheels on 3,800lb street cars.

Quote:
maybe you should do a little fact-checking before you decide to correct someone, it would bode well for you.
I'm doing quite well in life. You should humble up a little bit. That would bode well for you.
NG329 is offline   Reply With Quote