View Single Post
Old 05-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #12
RideZX6R
Probably tired right now

Drives: 1Lap1LE | EV6 FE | 18 F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meh View Post
How is the GT350R a better deal than a ZL1? They're practically the same price.

ZL1 doesn't need to be your 2nd car.
ZL1 is faster and will pull away in straights on road courses.
ZL1 does all this with a back seat intact
ZL1 still has nav/camera, etc.
ZL1 as built in PDR
ZL1 doesn't need ultra expensive CF wheels.

I'm not really seeing where the GT350R is winning anything other than being more rare.
I thought I covered these points with my 2 caveats (not to mention that I said I preferred the 1LE/ZL1 over either Ford as well), but I'll take your points line by line...

"They're practically the same price" - If you mean MSRP, sure.
However in the real world, the GT350R simply doesn't sell for that. Which was caveat #1 (if you can buy for sticker).

"ZL1 doesn't need to be your second car" - Neither car does. However caveat #2 said the GT350R is a better second car and more rewarding to drive. While this is subjective, I can say I've driven both cars and find the 350R more engaging, and it's not even close.

"ZL1 is faster and will pull away in straights" - Well no... It will regain the ground it loses to the GT350R in the corners. If a course that doesn't have a particularly long straight or the course has a medium sized straight but many very technical corners, the power will work against it as the electronics reign in the torque. You'd be better off with a stock/modded 1LE here. The weight of the ZL1 matters, and it does change the driving feel.

"The ZL1 has nav/camera" - caveat #2 covered this. Nav? Smarthphone - You shouldn't need nav to get to the track or you fav driving road.
ZL1 needs a camera for the same reason ALL camaros do... visibility is SEVERELY LACKING compared to other sports cars. As the Mustang doesn't have this problem nearly as bad, Ford didn't fit a camera.

"The ZL1 (h)as built in PDR" - All the drivers tools in the world don't make a car weigh less or feel better.

"ZL1 doesn't need CF wheels" - No car does. That's not the point. The point is Ford did this for to better the overall driving FEEL of the car and it shows.
After driving a ZL1 I found the acceleration and overall predictability great. I felt that the electronics do a great job of helping the driver while letting the driver think he's on his own and doing it himself, and my 1LE does the same.
However the 350R has better feedback, better feel, is more of an assault on the senses etc.

The GT350R feels special because it IS special. However, it's not a car that you'd drive daily. For the same practical (not cosmetic) reasons you don't drive a Ferrari daily. It's loud, it's sensory overload, it's not very comfortable for long periods of time and it's certainly not something you'd want to dilute to be comfortable in.

However the cost of entry (ie over MSRP pricing) is simply too much for me to justify as an/my only car. So I went 1LE.

Does this explain why IF IT'S A SECOND CAR, AND YOU DON'T PAY OVER STICKER that I think the GT350R is better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67Builder View Post
Two things.

1. You're on a track. Do a timed lap in each you clowns!
2. Mustang driver Zach really needs to drop the DJ voice and speak like a normal person.
Motor Trend will do that soon - plenty of Instagram pics to support this one
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleoent View Post
Special factor, rare factor, n/a factor and resale factor mean a lot to some people.
Sadly those are a lot of the same people that won't actually DRIVE the car :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Meh View Post
The comment was "(better than a ZL1 if you like road racing over drag)"

That suggests a performance based relationship, not a rarity or "I'm different" one as you state and thus my reply.
Covered it all above.
'22 Kia EV6 First Edition
'18 RS3 (1 of 2) Cumulus Blue
'24 911 T (ordered)

Formers...
'19 RS5 Sportback Sonoma Green | '07 Cayman S 6MT | '16 Audi S3 Prestige Viper Green (APR Stage 3+) | '19 Mustang Shelby GT350R | '17 SS 1LE MBM 575whp all-motor
RideZX6R is offline   Reply With Quote