View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #9
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rons1le View Post
Electric vehicles are for commuters. Not muscle cars or pickups. People dreaming of no emissions is a fantasy.....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Battery powered heavy trucks will need a massive improvement in storage density before they become practical replacements for the current range of work trucks. But batteries are not the only way to achieve 0 emissions. There are also hydrogen fuel cells, which have their own problems with cost & infrastructure, but can at least get good range without eating up the entire payload capacity of the truck.

Muscle cars have been dead for nearly half a century. But for performance cars in general, you'll still be able to take an EV out to the strip for the weekly test & tune. Or out for an early Saturday morning cruise on a summer day. And even do some hot laps at a road course, so long as its a car designed to be run on a track (which applies to every car, whether its powered by electrons or gasoline). There are even ways to tinker with and upgrade an electric powertrain.

About the hardest thing thats part of 'car culture' to do with current EV technology would be a mass a road trip to an event like CamaroFest. Its simply not yet possible to charge a 20 cars travelling together quickly. But that won't necessarily be an issue in a couple decades. Maybe because fast charging becomes ubiquitous, maybe because there is a breakthrough in storage density, maybe because we've figured how to make hydrogen work. Could be some other reason too.

There is a big difference between not being able to do something today, and not being able to do it 25 years from now.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote