View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 09:49 PM   #41
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
No, not entirely.

But DG's theory, which you specifically called 100% patently false, is absolutely on the right track, as it did consider both cross sectional areas and lengths.

I know that it's possible to construct outlandish examples that appear to prove something to be generally true when that is absolutely not the case, and that's when the sanity check requires actually running a few realistic numbers and letting the answer fall wherever it may instead of trying to hand-wave the whole thing away by implying that a simple comparison to the absurd is sufficient.

I'm not trying to say that 1" of 1mm tubing wouldn't restrict flow severely (it'd probably choke the flow off to some smallish fixed value no matter how much pressure you put behind it, and how much power that would cost). But I will state that 1" of 1mm doesn't represent what's going on in the pinched sections of Camaro exhaust tubing well enough to have any meaning at all.

Norm
What I meant (and obviously wasn’t clear enough) was that it’s absolutely 100% patently false to disregard cross sectional diameter if it isn’t of substantial length. Diameter effects exhaust flow/pressure at any length. As you said, it’s part of a mathematical equation. It isn’t magically “removed” from the result if the length is under X amount of length.

My take-away from the original post we are hashing our was that the flow is not effected if the “restriction” doesn’t reach a certain length. It does. Regardless of length, there will be an effect.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote