View Single Post
Old 01-14-2022, 05:47 PM   #7
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFV1LE View Post
Are you saying that before buying that significant mod (the combined exhaust with cat delete) you did no research on the effect it will have on your very high power forced induction motor?

You must speak to a good shop like Katech, Lingenfelter, etc. If you go WOT or even 3/4 with all that and build significant boost there is a chance you will damage your motor. Even if everything seems to be running well, you may be doing damage to pistons, rings, etc. I'm not sure of this but you can't take chances with AFR in SC and Turbo motors like you can with non-FI.
You’re not damaging your engine with a cat delete and catback. Let’s pump the brakes a bit on that one…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Yes, your car will get an immediate CEL after deleting the cats without a tune to disable it. It could also cause the emission system to log a failure that could cause problems if you live in an area that requires emission testing.
Correct. I’ve said it many times and I’ll repeat it again: you should have your tuner shut the associated codes off *before* you install the parts! Otherwise you’ll get a permanent code that will never go away. Can a tuner shut the CEL off after the fact? Yes, but the permanent codes will stay in the memory forever. If your state starts plugging into your ALDL port at inspection time, it’ll be flagged. Do yourself a favor and get the codes disabled before installing the new parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
You will need a tune. However for the price of the tune you might as well also get some more extensive mods like a Big Gulp and maybe even go ahead and port the blower or get LTs. Do a list of mods now and save yourself money from having to get retuned again and again.
Not a bad idea.