View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 09:13 PM   #170
KyleL

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1z350 View Post
Hate to tell you but the a10 is just better over all period this isn’t just for the camaro either. Z06 hellcat SS doesn’t matter. The gear spread on the autos keeps it incthe power band much better.
Im not denying the m6 is equal to, much less better, in the 1/4. My question was just how can an ss m6, even though slower, run within a couple tenths of an a8 when an m6 zl1 (which has tighter gearing than an m6 ss) is around .5-.7 slower? Did closing the gap between gears in the m6 slow the car down?

So what you’re saying is an a10 is worth almost half a second in the 1/4? So if GM decided to put the a10 in the ss, it’ll run 11.4-11.5?

A few weeks ago I raced a hellcat challenger in the 1/4, me with full bolt ons and street tires (I have a c7 z51 now, btw) vs him with tires. He ran 11.0’s to my 11.2. Auto hellcats with tires seem to be in the 10.8 range. Again, not arguing the manuals are equal in the 1/4, I agree with you about that, I’m just questioning the variance in times.

I think the only hope an m6 zl1 has against an auto zl1 is from a roll. Even the m6 stays above 5k rpms from a roll from the right speed in the right gear. Even though the a10 shifts faster than any human could in a manual, as its shifting though those gears, it will hit one and be lower in rpms than an m6. If you want proof, check out the m6 vs a10 on motor trend when the compared them on a road course. On the last straight you can see both cars exit the last turn at almost the EXACT same speed, with the m6 actually crossing the line 3-4 mph faster. That’s not scientific by any means, don’t get me wrong, but it can be a loose way to gauge both cars acceleration from a rolling start.

I think with a competent driver, an m6 will probably still lose to an a10 from a roll, but I think it’ll definitely be a lot closer than it is in the 1/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
I disagree because an A10 ran into the 9's with a STOCK A10 and drivetrain.

So the ZL1'ws drivetrain package has been well over-proven.

I'd look at the prior "AW-Chit" history with the M-Camaros and M-Corvettes to tell you of GM's lack of motivation in fixing this most important issue of Bogging @ Launch.
I didn’t have a problem launching my m6 c6. The point I was making with that is the driver has the ability to launch the zl1 m6 at a max rpm of 4K. The car makes 650 tq at 3600 rpms. I think it’s a lot easier on a drivetrain launching an auto at 2k rpms (400-500 tq) and rolling into the throttle and/or having the computer step in some than it is dumping the clutch in an m6 at its peak tq rpm. That’s a lot of power hitting the driveline all at once and perhaps GM, in an effort to keep those parts happier longer, took more aggressive steps to minimize that shock.