View Single Post
Old 09-14-2021, 06:00 AM   #89
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
And my points flew right over you. We are using the same limited resources to make electricity, buddy. At least that's how most of the electricity is made. You can argue we will use it up more slowly that way, but we will still run out one day. It's not really addressing the issue, just delaying the inevitable. Then there is Martinjlm's point on the resources that make the batteries. Lithium battery recycling still has a long way to go, and its commercial viability is the biggest problem. Why bother recycling when it's cheaper to make it from the ground up?

Gas engine dying is also hilarious. Now, this is a bit cheating but think outside of cars for a bit. Sea vessels and ground vehicles are okay with anything electric because weight doesn't matter as much, and if your sea vessel is large enough, you can even just make the electricity onboard with nuclear reactions. But even then, if sea vessels need to travel a long distance, it's simply not feasible to just charge up a massive battery onboard. And then there is aviation... Even making those hybrid is a royal pain now, let alone fully electric. Good luck lifting up those heavy batteries with their awful energy density! It's extra fun to just know that aviation uses a ton of fuel as well, naturally. I hope you never travel around!

There is no point waiting until the last minute, you said? I see many reasons, since EVs are far from mature. It's kind of like buying those first generation Samsung foldable smartphones. You are paying a premium price for a tech that's not quite there yet, and some problems still need solving. Right now, the best thing to do when EV catches fire is to just wait for it to burn out, while we have a lot of experience fighting ICE fire at this point(and it is just physically easier to put out than lithium fire). I would rather wait and then buy a product that's superior to what your impatience-filled Kool-Aid made you buy with less money.

The only winners on public roads are the ones who don't get speeding tickets, BTW. Can't go fast when cops pull you over, can you?
No your points did not go over my head. I chose not to bring up the "using limited resources slower" argument because it seems obvious enough that I didn't need to mention it. But in any case, yes we will use those resources slower.

In any case the way I see it, from all the negative comments, the only way to think is that either way, no matter what, regardless of any choice that is made, we're all simply just hopelessly fcuked and there are no answers at all. EVs are an extremely horrible system that will destroy grids and leave entire cities in blackouts indefinitely and it'll lead to chaos and rampant violence and mayhem. Gas powered vehicles will continue to pollute the planet until our air in unbreathable and we'll all have to wear respirators to go outside or suffer mutations and cancers OR until we run out of gas and the entire planet will be submerged in an unbreakable cloud of darkness for all of eternity. So oh well. The world is screwed. We're all screwed. We have like 20 years left and then that's it.

Maybe the government should take to American Muscle Car forums to see all these expert ideas on how to save the planet and then present this overwhelmingly intelligent expert information that people's daughters in college and son's in high school and other extreme experts in these fields have to say. Maybe the top scientists in the world will finally listen and say "hey guys, we learned soo much from a car forum. We're gonna save the planet".

Of course I joke. But it is not as horrible as you all are trying to make it out to be. Gasoline engines have had their time. We came a long way from the days of old tech. However even if gas engines do become more efficient, there are still many more people driving. Populations are increasing exponentially. 10 years ago there were statements that we are facing overpopulation within 50 years. That was 10 years ago. Kids who were 7 then are all now driving and adding to the amount of cars on the road. So what is the difference between 5 cars that emit X amount of emissions vs 10 cars that are more efficient and emit half those emissions? What happens when the population continues to increase disproportionately? So either way, gas engines have got to go. If you don't believe me then come to North Jersey during rush hour traffic and sit there for 1 hour going nowhere. Or better yet, go into NY during rush hour.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote